Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth key proximity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don’t need a connection (Bluetooth LE mode) to know if Bluetooth from a device is present or not. So there needs to be no association between devices to know the signal strength as a Bluetooth LE device will just blast out identifying info for surrounding devices to see and identify.

But yes, no guarantees that signal strength will be same between devices but it is still possible with correct hardware to locate where that device is in relation to a fixed point. I believe may Tesla do similar to know location of phone in relation to car in/out, what direction you are approaching from etc

Much to my surprise today I tried the doorhandle of our Model 3 when my phone was maybe 6m away in the house and it opened. I tested again with the phone on the bedside table, maybe 7m away (front of the house) and the door opened again. Bit of a shock as it looks like I've been inadvertently leaving the car "locked" but actually unlocked for the last month. Whoops. I have PTD enabled and CCTV etc but not a good plan!

Anyone else able to open their car when their phone is maybe 20 to 25 ft away?

Cheers
Very interesting. I’ve just tested mine. I normally have the car in the garage, but today I’ve parked it on the drive in front of the lounge window. I left my phone inside on the arm of the chair next to the lounge window, and then went outside to measure and check if the car was unlocked.

The distance between my phone and the front bumper of the car is about 10-11 feet, so just over 3m, but the car stays locked.

I wonder why were seeing this variation? My guess would be the Bluetooth implementation on the phone. I’m using an iPhone X.

Very interesting. I’ve just tested mine. I normally have the car in the garage, but today I’ve parked it on the drive in front of the lounge window. I left my phone inside on the arm of the chair next to the lounge window, and then went outside to measure and check if the car was unlocked.

The distance between my phone and the front bumper of the car is about 10-11 feet, so just over 3m, but the car stays locked.

I wonder why were seeing this variation? My guess would be the Bluetooth implementation on the phone. I’m using an iPhone X.
Yes, the 'phone and perhaps signal strength appear to be the main variables. I may set the missus up with an account and app on her 'phone and do some more testing.

Maybe more use to be able to turn off unlock on approach when at home. There's geographical settings for other things so it shouldn't be too much of a chore for the coders.

Of course it is not a chore, but what happens with software development is that there is a long queue of "want to have" issues that get prioritized and eventually dropped. Tesla has been remarkably good about adding "gimmicks" into their software. Pin-to-drive and dashcam are some great examples.

I have a long list of features that I'd like myself, but maybe others would not want them so much.

Bluetooth has a range of 10m (30 feet max), and this is dependent on many things. Even worse is that it is possible to create a relay device to receive and re-transmit the bluetooth, even acoss continents (theoretically, via internet, I think it is possible).

Just disable bluetooth on the phone if this is as an issue.