Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bluetooth/phone unlocking doesn't work if the app has my other tesla selected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have 2 Teslas (a 3 and an X). Unlocking w/ the phone is hit or miss...probably works 80% of the time. I think the issue is that if I have the other car selected in the app it breaks the bluetooth connection w/ the 3 and hence won't unlock it, or if it does it won't let me drive it.

super irritating.

The phone is perfectly capable of having more than 1 bluetooth connection at a time. No reason I can think of it should drop the connection to the 3 if the X is selected in the app, but it consistently seems to do this.

Anyone else experienced this? Is everyone finding that the unlock via phone is pretty unreliable? Any solutions, other than remembering to always leave it with the 3 selected in the app?

yep, exactly how you described. You have to have the app set to the 3 and not the S or X. otherwise the bluetooth phone key fails.

I bought the keyfob for the 3 for extra reliability to lock/unlock by hand. (But remember this fob doesnt do passive entry/lock/unlock) faster and easier to remember since more similar to the S. (also easier to give the valet a keyfob rather than a card).

Also bought key-fobs. Mainly to unlock the charging port on my wife’s Model 3. My car is a Model S
A Mobile Technician told me that only being able to unlock the currently selected car in the app was a deliberate implementation for security reasons. He explained that otherwise if you have multiple cars on your app, you might unintentionally provide access to the other car(s) to an intruder by unlocking more than one car.
Obviously not an issue in your own garage, just trying to plug in the charging connector.

Reactions: boaterva