Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW Active E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not see any mention of EVs, although it looked like an Active E in the background behind the police tackling someone. Typical MO for the BBC.

GSP

Yes that is an ActiveE following the torch. BMW supplied about 175 ActiveE's and over 50 MINI-E's for the Olympic organizers to use. They've already been using them for the past 6 months or so and will continue to use them through the Olympics. I'm sure they'll be cleverly placed for all to see during the games and will most likely be the lead cars for the marathons.

MPT sighting

And a sighting of his Roadster in the next bay of his garage (look for the mirror and charging cable):

Screen shot 2012-10-19 at 10.16.14 PM.png

[disturbing image removed out of respect]
From the ActiveE Facebook group.

And so it ends.

She was my first...you never forget your first. Quite a lovely little EV. 100 mile range, amazing off the line acceleration, lovely strong regen, great handling. She had panache--always invoked a conversation. And some personality quirks...the best often do. A wonderful introduction to the future.

Alas, 'twas not to last. She was not long for this world which we all knew from the start. But it still hurts when then the time comes.

Fair thee well, little ActiveE. May you rust in peace.

And so it ends.

This pretty much proves that BMW i3=compliance, otherwise they would have used the activeE cars for headquarters security duty like Tesla does with the Rav4 mules. Crushing newish cars that could be repurposed doesn't make much sense.

This pretty much proves that BMW i3=compliance, otherwise they would have used the activeE cars for headquarters security duty like Tesla does with the Rav4 mules. Crushing newish cars that could be repurposed doesn't make much sense.
I don't think this proves anything about the i3. Both the MiniE and ActiveE from the start were clearly labeled as a test fleet. It's expected they would meet the crusher at some point if BMW didn't find a use for them after the leases were up.

As for your point about the RAV4, I think it actually serves as a counter point to your argument. The RAV4 was clearly a compliance vehicle (by Toyota's own admission), but yet it was re-purposed. So being re-purposed doesn't seem to have anything to do with a car being a compliance car or not.

When BWM next talks about 'efficiency' and 'energy savings' and recycling someone should show them those pictures. Nothing is more wastefull than destroying perfectly good cars.

And ActiveE was at least a real car.
I cleary see BMW's head saying the words of FIAT's CEO ... Except they never said how much money they are 'loosing' per i3 sold. I'd guess at leas 41.000 USD.