Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another video, it was uploaded to YouTube couple of days ago (via Chris Neff):

bmwi3mnl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

I saw that and also noticed they reference the different sized front and rear tires so perhaps that will make it to production.

The i3 concept coupe had 20" wheels with 175/55 R20's on the rear wheels and 155/60 R20's on the front. The test car he was driving in had 19" wheels with 175/65's on the rear and 155/70's on the front but he did say there will be a 20" wheel option.

Also good news is the 0-60 time of 7.2 sec. Before this all BMW said was 0-60 in under 8 seconds.

I'm still a bit concerned by the price. Assuming it's before rebates, it's £10,000 or ~50% more than a Leaf and at top end 3 series money.

FWIW I expect it to start between $44k & $46K in the States (before any incentives). Not sure about European pricing, but I have see the 38,000 euro figure a few times so that may be real. It's certainly will cost a good deal more then a LEAF, that is for sure. BMW has consistently said it will be priced "less than a 5 Series" and the 5 Series starts at $47,800 here.

Thank you for posting the Autocar link, dpeilow, very interesting. Scooter-station.com has a few photos of what is supposedly the 647 cc liquid-cooled parallel twin engine Kymco manufactures under BMW license. It's reportedly used in both the C600 Sport and the C650 GT. The earliest reference of a BMW/Kymco collaboration I could find is from 2008.

The Autocar report notably contains a casual reference to the range achieved under the European test cycle: 140 miles. Not sure how literally to take this figure, but considering that the 2011/2012 LEAF apparently delivered 109 miles (~170 km) on the European cycle, this would corroborate the claim of 80-100 miles of real-world range for the i3.

kymcoengine.jpg

kymcoengine2.jpg

And another writer chimes in on his test drive:

BMW i3 (2013): electric car test ride | Road Testing Reviews | Car Magazine Online

I'm sure a few people here won't agree with him saying "The i3 is shaping up to be a breakthrough electric car. It delivers dynamic thrills like no electric car before it. The steering seems highly involving, the drivetrain’s punch would flatten a Leaf, and the handling and road-holding seem up there with BMW’s best"

Guess this guy hasn't driven an S yet.

Last edited:
I'm invited to the introduction of the I3 at the BMW HQ in the Netherlands on March 23. I did not expect that to happen so early. Very curious!

Can you ask one particular question when you will be there?
It's regarding the battery pack. BMW seems to have developed a system to keep the temperature of the battery pack at a certain level. And it seems that the range of the car is not affected in cold weather conditions!!! As normally cold weather conditions do have an impact on the range that you can drive with your EV. This is a very interesting feature. Please make sure they tell you all about it, and then report back to us (if you will). Thanks for doing that.

They claim 130 to 160 km real world range in cold weather even in comfort setting (not Eco Pro+). That would be phenomenal with a 22 to 24 kwh battery.

Read today the Rex will be the 650ccm two cylinder motor with 25 kw for a reasonable 3000 €.

But the price of an i3 will be very high. With range extender BMW mentioned over 40.000 €. That pretty much for such a small car.

The other information I got today is that with the battery you will get 160 km in cold condition, as well.
The Range extender could used the 9 L gasoline to let you drive additional 90 km. In the sum you can drive 250 km with one charge and the gasoline. That's not so far away.

The concept of the i3 seems to be a little small car that is build for short range as fully electric. If you want you can take the range extender as an emergency backup generator only in emergency situations, not for normaly driving far distances.

I like the design and the concept, because the full electric drive was taken into the foreground. But the price is the same issue like for the Tesla.

The price might seem high in regards to size, but not in regards to what you will get. A new developed EV with innovativ, low wight full carbon chassis. Backed by one of the biggest car companies. No limpy 12 second to 100 km/h but some power to really have fun. Passenger space comparable to a 3er series. AnD services like access to BMW DriveNow car sharing and access to ICE for the occational long distance travel.

The 60 kw Tesla S will be at least 50% more here. And doesn't have decent cupholders, parking sensors and power folding mirrors. SCNR. :)

And the Tesla is much too big at least for me. G3 is not expected before 2017. So a i3 leasing for 3 or 4 years is my plan. And since it's my first EV i will opt for the Rex. :)

PS: And btw, it's ADDITIONAL 250 km with the REx. So about 400 km combined.

Last edited:
BMW sources have said to some newspapers the car will cost 400,000 kroner here. That's about $69,000. A new 60 kWh Model S costs 446 000 kroner here, or $77,000.

I sincerely hope for BMW's sake that it will be cheaper than 400,000 kroner, or I guess they'll sell less than ten of them.