Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, CHAdeMO's lead is definitely not large enough to be insurmountable.
Looks to me CHAdeMO vehicles will outnumber SAE vehicles until someone comes up with a mass market EV and commits to building 100s of thousands. Why would any private operator invest in SAE chargers when most of the vehicles use CHAdeMO ? Only hope is BMW i3 will sell so many that CHAdeMO chargers will get additional SAE connectors.

BTW, BMW's answer to long drives seems to be to put in a gas engine in i3. They may concentrate on that rather than a QC network.

BMW is still stuck on gasoline. Why else would they do two test trials of pure eV's and not offer any for sale anytime soon? Most of the future i cars have a planned ice to be stuck in as a range extender. I'll believe BMW is serious about ev's when I see them for sale offered to anyone, anywhere, like Tesla has. Enough said.

Looks to me CHAdeMO vehicles will outnumber SAE vehicles until someone comes up with a mass market EV and commits to building 100s of thousands. Why would any private operator invest in SAE chargers when most of the vehicles use CHAdeMO ? Only hope is BMW i3 will sell so many that CHAdeMO chargers will get additional SAE connectors.

BTW, BMW's answer to long drives seems to be to put in a gas engine in i3. They may concentrate on that rather than a QC network.

You have to first define "outnumber" and "most". CHAdeMO will have a head start of 10-20k vehicles (riding essentially entirely on Leafs with the QC option; the iMIEV has insignificant volume). That's not a big head start. 1-2 years of production of other EVs will overtake that.

As for why people would adopt SAE, it's still the official car standards body for the US and practically every single US car and charger manufacturer has worked with SAE to develop this standard (including Tesla, which is why they are confident they can build an adapter to the standard for Model S). Plus the US government is likely to back an SAE standard over other standards given the choice. Again CHAdeMO won't have a big enough lead (in both car and charger volume) to have a firm hold on quick chargers in the US.

And in terms of the socket, it only has a slightly larger footprint than standard J1772. It shouldn't be very costly to put into the car even as a standard option. The fact that the footprint will be compatible with the IEC standard also aids its adoption. Again I don't see any good reason (besides from an extended delay) for the 7 automakers (which includes BMW) who backed the standard to favor CHAdeMO over SAE. Although at this point, this is all speculation. We'll see how things happen when the standard is ready and the first cars/chargers start hitting the market. I predict it will overtake CHAdeMO within 1-2 years on the market in the US (there will still be CHAdeMO stations around, since at the very least Nissan will support them, but I expect the SAE standard to outnumber CHAdeMO very quickly).

This just went up today in Times Square:
Times Square.jpg

They take the GM Volt advertising a step further without blushing! Where GM calls the Volt a "range extended EV", they denote the i3 als "ALL ELECTRIC". It will have a range extender, too. Though that might be an optional one.

May depend on the price and the electric range. And if you would, or could, get a larger range battery instead (it seemed to me, you can't). So some people might buy the gasoline-extension because a battery-extension is not available.

Correct Norbert, there is no optional battery pack. I'd really prefer that over the REx option, however 100 mile is good for me. I've been living with a 100 mile EV for three years now and it's plenty for my daily driving. Expect the i3 to have an EPA rating of 92-95 MPC, so figure it's good for 80-110 miles depending on how it's driven and ambient temperature.