Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly, they just put up a second billboard in Times Square and announced the "BMW Born Electric" world tour which starts in two weeks in Rome and goes on for ten months. Nikki Gordon Bloomfield also just did a piece on the i3 today as new details were released.
First BMW i Store Opens in London, i3 Concept Gets New Interior

That Automobile Magazine post from a few weeks ago was pure rubbish, no truth in there at all. They claimed BMW was backing of their sales projections of 100,000 i3's per year. BMW has never claimed they would make 100,000 i3's per year, they have said on many occasions they hope to sell 30,000 of them globally per year, never 100,000. That alone proved to me Automobile did a hack job on this and really has no facts. The problem is dozens of other sites picked it up and also ran it without any verification. That's journalism in 2012

I saw a whole truckload (8) of active E's going north through Santa Barbara yesterday! It was going the opposite direction and no time to snap a picture.

I believe BMW may have allocated a few more to lease because of the high demand in CA. I read a post on the ActiveE forum that someone on the waiting list (people that did not receive one of the original allotment) was just contacted and told they were getting one this week. You may have seen the last batch

But as long as they only go 60 to 100 miles, they won't even be in the running. If they had a decent range that would be different.

Yes, definitely won't have Model S range. The i3 will launch in 13 months (September 2013) and will have an EPA rating of 91-95 miles - more than anything that doesn't wear a Tesla badge. It will also be about $10k to 12k less than a 40kW Model S (MSRP between $44,000 and $48,000)

These are definitely two very different automobiles with a market for both IMHO.

They will be available at many dealers, just not all BMW dealerships. The dealers have to agree to special training (sales and service) and allot a certain amount of floor space for the i brand as well as stock a good amount of them. If you order one online, you will still pick it up at a dealership so they aren't 'skirting the law'. I don't know how the dealer factors in with a cut - perhaps they get a 'delivery fee' of sort

They already have them on the road, and they look better and have more range than the i3, so I don't see your point.

Exactly. At this point, Tesla only needs to worry about Tesla.(increasing production, keeping quality top notch & not running out of cash) The Infinity LE might be the closest thing for real competition(5 passenger sedan) and may compete range wise with the 40kWh Model S. The Concept LE had the LEAF's 24kWh pack, but I'm hearing the production version due out late next year will have between 35 & 40kWh and have an EPA rating around 125 miles which will be very close to the 40kWh Model S EPA rating (Guessing 128-135mi).

Some new pictures of an i3 in hot weather testing in southern Spain: The Electric BMW i3: BMW i3 Spotted Again During Hot Weather Testing
HotWeather1.jpg