TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

BMW i6 Crossover

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Spidy, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Spidy

Spidy Member

#1 Spidy, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  2. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

The more, the merrier. BMW is taking their sweet time about it though - mid 2020? One of the "benefits" of their carbon structure is that it's supposed to be fast to develop - much, much less production tooling required because of a radically lower parts count for the BIW. Not seeing much of that on this timeline though!

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Rumors, rumors, rumors...

4. Ampster

Ampster Member

If everything goes according to plan, my future Model X will be 4 years old by then.

5. paulkva

paulkva Member

I'm guessing this is a typo or other error (emphasis mine):
    The i3's battery capacity is apparently 22kWh with just under 19kWh usable. Triple that is ~60kWh, which seems low for a range of 300 "real-world" miles, although I guess it could be possible with significant weight reduction. Maybe they meant triple the energy density, since the next sentence mentions weight reduction. 200kg seems very light compared to Tesla's battery (1200lbs? ~= 544kg), but I guess that makes sense if they meant they're tripling energy density. A hypothetical 600kg Tesla battery would have a range of (85kWh x 600/544) = ~94kWh, which I could see being rated at 300 miles EPA.

Regardless, 500kWh makes no sense in this context. If accurate, it would be >5x any current production EV battery's capacity, and it would completely revolutionize EVs, providing a range of >1000 miles.

6. mwulff

mwulff Member

Better late than never. But let's see them ship it before we rejoice. The numbers in the article don't add up at all. They would probably need around 100 kWh of batteri to do a 300 mile range on an SUV. If somebody had a volume production battery with 3 times the energy density of the panasonic cells it would turn the world upside down and make said company rich beyond their wildest dreams.

7. deonb

deonb Active Member

Does that design remind anybody else of this?

Predator-Face.jpg

8. timf

timf Member

No, that would be Lexus you're thinking of.

9. taurusking

taurusking Member

I can tell for sure that picture has poor design of teeth for aliens...no back teeth to chew anything...guess aliens need no teeth:wink:

10. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

They will be going neck to neck with the Audi Q6, and we will have tons of fun watching
    the second generation Model X and Volvo XC90E leave them both in the dirt.