Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is direct from the bmw website
qzhx6Mj.png

this thing seriously uses 195 width tires? i only see those on like a hyundai accent, even the kia rio sx has wider tires than that (205 width on a sub compact econo box)

Howdy folks! I'm sure you've all read the Autoblog review by now.
2015 BMW i8 [w/video] First Drive - Autoblog

My thoughts:

As a statement of wealth, the i8 beats the Model S... it simply costs more money. However, there are a great deal of Model S buyers who aren't buying their cars because they want to show off how much money they've got. They are buying them because it's an important car, and they want it to be seen on the road. The i8 is just another hybrid car (by that I mean it carries around two energy supplies and two engines), but it's super-expensive, so when you roll up in one you're saying "yeah, I can afford this." There's actually an inferred statement of extra wealth in the i8 - when you roll up in one, you are automaticlly saying to people "I drive something else when I actually need to carry anything around." This pic basically says it all - 2015 BMW i8: First Drive Photo Gallery - Autoblog

People don't normally compare a $70,000 car with a $40,000 car. They don't normally say "oh no, the $40,000 car now has some tough competition, look how cool this $70,000 car is." Of course the $70,000 car is cooler, it costs 1.75 times more. However, people are comparing the $69,900 Model S with the $135,000 i8. I believe Tesla should be flattered.

But... how many $135,000 cars is BMW going to sell? How many people are there in the world who can afford a $135,000 car? (versus the number of people who can afford a $69,900 car) As you know, there are less buyers at the $200,000 level, even less at $300,000 and up. At the lower levels, you sell more Honda Civics because it's a $16,000 car... it's simply a numbers game. I'm leaving off options from both cars just to simplify the discussion... obviously both cars can end up more expensive than the base price.

Also, the Model S has been out nearly 2 years, and there are about 40,000 on the road. Let's say some of these drivers are people who could have afforded the i8, but it didn't exist when they bought their Model S. How many of them are going to trade in/get rid of their Model S now that the i8 is available? I don't think very many.

Then there is the driving argument... the narrow tyres are picked out by everyone. The only explanation for narrow tyres is to allow for lower energy consumption/longer range. it doesn't help handling and BMWs other cars have massive tyres.

We should not discount the cheaper cost of renewing the tyres! Nice. But - what is the cost of servicing a BMW i8 going to be? After the 3-year servicing plan is up, i mean. With two engines, and all that new tech, and no independent repair places will be able to work on it very easily you're paying BMW service department rates - man, it's going to be expensive.

I do not think the i8 will sell a lot of units. Its outlandish styling will turn off some of the people who could afford it. The tyres and other performance issues will turn off other people who can afford it, and are into the styling, but want more performance. And then there are Tesla cars, that deliver WAY more of the environmental factors that attract those who want a car that doesn't use conventional engine, AND it has enormous cargo capacity, seats five (or seven) yada yada you've heard it all before 'cos you're on this forum :)

So... awesome-looking car don't get me wrong, but I'm not the kind of person that wants to stick out in a crowd - THAT much.

As a statement of wealth, the i8 beats the Model S... it simply costs more money. However, there are a great deal of Model S buyers who aren't buying their cars because they want to show off how much money they've got. They are buying them because it's an important car, and they want it to be seen on the road. The i8 is just another hybrid car (by that I mean it carries around two energy supplies and two engines), but it's super-expensive, so when you roll up in one you're saying "yeah, I can afford this." There's actually an inferred statement of extra wealth in the i8 - when you roll up in one, you are automaticlly saying to people "I drive something else when I actually need to carry anything around." This pic basically says it all - 2015 BMW i8: First Drive Photo Gallery - Autoblog

Uh, yeah, displaying wealth is the last reason I buy anything. Actually I would prefer to buy something nice that doesn't look pretentious.

It does seen pretty cool for a 911 replacement. Would be a great daily driver, although at $150k I doubt very many people would do so.

You still would need a model S for road trips, grocery runs, picking up friends at the airport, driving the kids somewhere, taking more than one person out to lunch,...

You still would need a model S for road trips, grocery runs, picking up friends at the airport, driving the kids somewhere, taking more than one person out to lunch,...

This is exactly why the i8 will likely not sell very well. It may be a good demonstration for PHEV technology, but PHEV hasn't been a novel technology for some time. i8 brings nothing new to the table, has little utility for everyday tasks, and costs far more than a Model S.