Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks - looks pretty similar to the volt. Here is the section from the BMW website.

BMW i8 : Charging
"In the non-electric driving modes, the high-voltage battery is charged directly by the petrol engine so that it is available for the boost function. Here most energy is fed into the battery in the SPORT mode, and the energy recovery in thrust and brake phases also reaches its maximum. In the COMFORT and ECO PRO modes, correspondingly less energy flows into the high-voltage battery. And if you are driving your BMW i8 in the HYBRID mode, the high-voltage battery is charged exclusively by Brake Energy Regeneration."

so the i8 is different vs. Volt in that 1. smaller battery 2. more powerful gas motor 3. gas motor powers rear wheels 4. cost ~4x

I think Tesla made the right move getting rid of the Roadster's "modes". Drive the S the way you want at any time without futzing with modes. The fact the i8 has a bunch of modes smells like a design that can't figure out how to gracefully handle different usage profiles and so pushed the burden onto the driver, who mostly doesn't care.

When I smash the pedal, I want "sport". When I'm putzing along in cruise control, I probably want "eco". And I want to car to seamlessly switch modes for me on the fly based on how I'm driving at that moment.

Nice looking car :biggrin:
luxiboo_swim_10.jpg

I think Tesla made the right move getting rid of the Roadster's "modes". Drive the S the way you want at any time without futzing with modes. The fact the i8 has a bunch of modes smells like a design that can't figure out how to gracefully handle different usage profiles and so pushed the burden onto the driver, who mostly doesn't care.

When I smash the pedal, I want "sport". When I'm putzing along in cruise control, I probably want "eco". And I want to car to seamlessly switch modes for me on the fly based on how I'm driving at that moment.
How would you characterize Range Driving Mode in the Model S, if not as a mode?

How would you characterize Range Driving Mode in the Model S, if not as a mode?
I thought about that. I don't think it's the same as the modes on the Roadster or i8, though I don't know either well enough to say with high confidence. I know when I borrowed a Roadster, the modes specifically impacted the car's performance, which "Range Mode" in the S doesn't do. The S Range Mode only impacts interior heating and such near as I can tell. It's sort of a quick button to reduce accessory usage.

The i8's modes and Roadster modes are primarily about changing the car's performance to reduce energy consumption.

FWIW, I think the "Range Mode" button in the S is fairly useless too. If I want to use less energy, I'll dial back the AC/heat. I've used it once on a long trip and just found it annoying. I'd rather drop my speed by 5mph rather than limit AC.

I suppose there's something of a continuum though. Would you could consider Sport steering a mode? Is Regen strong/soft a mode? Is creep a mode?

Last edited:
From the above article:

Whatever the 2014 BMW i8 might be, it is certainly not a typical electric vehicle (EV). It doesn’t look like an EV, sound like an EV or drive like an EV. Those who build it are not EV people, and those who will own it are not EV customers.

Of course, there is a simple explanation for all that: because it is not an EV ! Its a hybrid!

Edit: As for the key, it looks cool, but I am afraid of key fobs with LCDs on them ever since I dropped and broke my iMiev fob -- which only has a mono-color LCD, not as fancy as the BMW one, but still the dealership quoted me $900 to replace it.

I agree. The only other electric car I have driven is a Leaf and it has an "ECO" mode that increases regen (in fact, you can't even feel regen unless it is in ECO mode) but it also significantly reduces the power. I want the strong regen with no effect on power but that not's available on the Leaf and I find that really strange.

I have seen (and have photos of) an i8 I saw on the street in LA a couple of weeks ago. How many are in the US?

Here is a photo. On a side street turning into Rodeo Drive.
u2a8a9e5.jpg

that looks cool

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think anyone posted a link to the Automobile Mag review here

2014 BMW i8 Review

Has anyone seen the key? This pic was in another article, but it looks cool! Wonder if the display is on full-time, and what the vampire drain would be to maintain the info connection.

View attachment 49220

I wish in future keys are like this.

I want the strong regen with no effect on power but that not's available on the Leaf and I find that really strange.

You get that to some extent by turning off ECO and enabling "B" mode in 2013+ LEAFs. (Not available in the base S model). It gives you about one bubble (10kW) more regen than ECO would in the same situation, subject to the cap of ~30kW.