Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And no, the Cadillac ELR is not a Model S competitor as it fails in every area that matters, which is why the ELR is selling in such miniscule numbers.

Why do people continue to make this statement? EVERY car developed that carries some sort of "electric=miles" design is a competitor of Tesla. THAT is why Musk wanted to release the patents...he needs the competition, in any form, to step and start developing systems that require the needed network for use...in his case the Supercharger stations..in others, gas stations with available charging stations as well. I imagine that Musk realized that he cannot do it all by himself and he actually needs the industry to adopt a standard so that unbridled development would occur within the hybrid, BEV, EREV, etc. industries. If not, his plan for a greener automotive nation will not be reality for many, many decades.

Why do people continue to make this statement? EVERY car developed that carries some sort of "electric=miles" design is a competitor of Tesla. THAT is why Musk wanted to release the patents...he needs the competition, in any form, to step and start developing systems that require the needed network for use...in his case the Supercharger stations..in others, gas stations with available charging stations as well. I imagine that Musk realized that he cannot do it all by himself and he actually needs the industry to adopt a standard so that unbridled development would occur within the hybrid, BEV, EREV, etc. industries. If not, his plan for a greener automotive nation will not be reality for many, many decades.

Would a plug in Prius with a 3 mile EV only range count as a competitor? They compete in that they both have a battery but they are very different cars. Just like comparing a Dodge Caravan to a Mazda Miata. They go after different segments.

Then why did the German magazine test of the Model S get a 0-60 number a half second slower that Tesla's spec, which has been confirmed by other testers?

They did 0-100km, which is 62 mph, and they had a passenger. Don't know if these two things are enough to make a difference, but they should be considered.

Why do people continue to make this statement? EVERY car developed that carries some sort of "electric=miles" design is a competitor of Tesla.

Is a Toyota Yaris a competitor of a Ford F150 truck? They are both ICE powered after all.

I agree that the i8 and the Model S are 2 different cars. Still these performance numbers show where the Model S really fails to impress: Above 100mph.

From 100-125 it takes almost 9 seconds. My 20 year old VW Corrado is not slower than that.

I agree that the i8 and the Model S are 2 different cars. Still these performance numbers show where the Model S really fails to impress: Above 100mph.

From 100-125 it takes almost 9 seconds. My 20 year old VW Corrado is not slower than that.

Uhmm, there are very few areas in the US (and indeed the rest of the world outside the Autobahn) that one can legally drive above 80 mph, much less 100 mph.
Using the criteria of speeds in excess of 100 mph as a measuring stick has little viable merit in the real world.

YMMV

It's not really news that the S is limited at the top end, and it's not really relevant anywhere outside of select stretches of roadway in Germany.

I agree, we had this before. :-D

On pure electric mode i8 goes 0-62 in 11.1s. Not really comparable to the Tesla. However I like the fact that you can go as fast as you like in the i8 in e-mode without any range anxiety. You can charge your battery with the ultra efficient 3 cycl anytime on the run. It's virtually a double powerhouse weighting no more than 1500kg. Pretty amazing, I think.

I agree, we had this before. :-D

On pure electric mode i8 goes 0-62 in 11.1s. Not really comparable to the Tesla. However I like the fact that you can go as fast as you like in the i8 in e-mode without any range anxiety. You can charge your battery with the ultra efficient 3 cycl anytime on the run. It's virtually a double powerhouse weighting no more than 1500kg. Pretty amazing, I think.

Since you are comparing them which has more real world applicability for 99% of the world's population outside of Germany? 0-60 in 4 seconds in EV mode vs 11 seconds or routine travel at 110 mph?

How efficient is ultra efficient? It it's more than 60% efficient like a large power plant that's impressive.

Last edited:

In no developed country other than Germany is that statistic relevant. And at 100+ ICE vehicles get terrible gas mileage, they are range limited as well.

I hope that Tesla does not devote any engineering resources towards enabling their vehicles to go well over 100mph for extended periods. It will do essentially nothing to contribute to the long term success of the company or EVs in general. Germany is an outlier.

I hope that Tesla does not devote any engineering resources towards enabling their vehicles to go well over 100mph for extended periods. It will do essentially nothing to contribute to the long term success of the company or EVs in general. Germany is an outlier.
IMO this is shortsighted. By researching the weak points, you sometimes find simple solutions and you discover new things that apply to the entire spectrum of vehicle operation.

Also, the Tesla mission of pushing forward EV adoption is definitely helped by addressing the issues that make the vehicles fall short of inspirational.

As I mentioned somewhere a gear change from 9.73 to 8.73 should allow 150 mph speed with a slight loss of 0-60. Increase the peak motor torque/current and that loss could probably be erased. It could be the Autobahn Package.
What impact do you think this would have on the acceleration limiter for track use?