Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the i8 has the Model S beat in the looks department. But that's where it ends. The Model S is better, more practical, and a better value in every other category. I would not buy an i8, and I'm finding it difficult to figure out who would. I've also owned several 911s. Maybe the buyer who buys the 911 for the status symbol will buy the i8 and fee

Nah the i8 has too much going on. The Model S has a clean simple design thats striking and stands out from every other car. It looks like its flowing in the wind when its not moving, I cant name another car that has that look plus its large so it has a great presence. And the Model S has by far the coolest LED daytime running lights.

The i8 looks sick but the Model S has it beat with simplicity, and that long sleek, curved roofline. The i8 looks futuristic and the Model S looks like a spaceship, i'll take the spaceship.

I spotted this i8 today being transported to BMW of Mountain View. I assume it is going to be on display there. It is an exciting looking car in person.

While I'm sure it won't have the reliability issues of the Fisker Karma, it reminds me of that car in a number of ways: great to look at, but compromised on performance (for its price point), compromised on interior and luggage space, compromised on battery range...

i8 front.jpg
i8 interior.jpg
i8 rear.jpg

Isn't it basicaly a Fisker Karma v2 ?

- plugin-hybrid
- very short electric range
- very fancy look
- 2 seats (+2 that is impractical even for kids)
- minimal luggage space
- priced for low volume sales

Of course the difference is that BMW can afford to lose money on 1 model, they have lots of other models to profit from.

Electric range of 22 miles (?) - what should the minimum 'electric range' be to qualify for this car to be called an EV????

And don't know if this has been answered elsewhere - what is the side clearance required for those doors? Seems kind of impractical for parking in regular parking lots.

Besides i8's utter impracticality compared to an S or even an M3, a very odd feature is the sound system adds artificial engine sounds for the interior, no option to turn that off. Why waste BMW engineering on adding "vroom vroom" noises? I consider that bizarre after thoroughly enjoying and preferring the powerful silence of my S.

Has anyone heard an i8 in person? I can only guess the sound of its 3-cylinder engine, derived from a Mini, is embarrassing.

The "vroom vroom" noises definitely helped to impress people, I've seen in several reviewes (as well as many youtube comments on the reviews) mentioning how good it sounds, they say "it doesn't sound like a 3 cylinder engine, more like a powerful V6". So in other words, it is an important part of the "audio-visual tuning" package of the i8, if you don't have a top performance car, at least make it look and sound like one :tongue: