Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is different?

Both are hybrids with similar electric only range, although the i8 has a bit less EV range. Both are form over function. Both are over $100k. Need I go on?

I wouldn't say that the BMW i8 has a little bit less range EV range with respect to the Fisker Karma. In fact the i8 has more than half less EV range with respect to the Fisker Karma. Hope that BMW will double soon the EV range of the i8.

As I understand it, and in such a hypothetical scenario: As long as BMW were to agree to pay just as much for access to the Tesla Supercharger network proportionate to usage and fleet size as Tesla does, then it is my understanding that Tesla would welcome them with open arms.
I would expect BMW (or any other manufacturer) to pay more than is being charged to Tesla owners. One reason is that Tesla is taking on liability, maintenance overhead, and other costs that it would be foolish to charge BMW owners the same price. I'm not saying it should be a 10x premium for non-Tesla usage, but 1x seems wrong.

The i8 has a top speed of 75mph on electric power and is fairly sluggish without ICE assist. In that regard, it's inferior to the Fisker Karma.

IMO the i8 is much more of a "performance hybrid" (poor man's P1/918/La Ferrari) than an EVer like the Karma and Volt. As such you have to expect that the ICE will be operating most of the time, unless you are in a city center. Nothing wrong with this, just a different design center.
My real question is how many buyers are there for a $135K+ sports car with a 3 cylinder motor? :confused:

Last edited:
.../ My real question is how many buyers are there for a $135K+ sports car with a 3 cylinder motor? :confused:
A Tesla has 0 cylinders…

I would personally prefer if folks bought a Tesla instead of an i8. But it seems that some people must be able to spend days on the road in order to keep their day jobs. And as I understand it, if you’re only going to be 1 or 2 people in the car than this BMW should have better gas mileage than a Prius. And wouldn’t that make the i8 the most fuel efficient ICE-car available in the US? And with the ability to do 0-62 in 4,4 seconds, the i8 does not seem to be quite like your average econobox/penalty car. Sure, it’s not sub 4 seconds, but maybe folks will be able to stomach this for the good cause. Because hopefully we can all agree by now that MSNBC’s Chris Hayes was right yesterday when he explained why his show were covering the story about Tesla in NJ to the New Jersey Coalition of Automotive Retailers representative:

Because we got to get off gas, man…

You’ll not be getting of gas in an i8. But if you’ll loose your day job if you try to pull off your travel needs in a Model S, then at least you can reduce your gas consumption rather significantly…

Also: It seems to me that it sounds pretty good. Note though that there was still a bug in the powertrain software that caused the gearbox to shift up prematurely… So with that caveat – decent sound-display @6:20:

And if I recall correctly, that particular i8 was 95% finished, so the production version might sound even better…

Agree. I would like to add to the question of dennis: "and almost without the trunk?" :confused:
As I understand it you’ll be able to fit at least two decent suitcases in the back seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would personally prefer if folks bought a Tesla instead of an i8. But it seems that some people must be able to spend days on the road in order to keep their day jobs. And as I understand it, if you’re only going to be 1 or 2 people in the car than this BMW should have better gas mileage than a Prius. And wouldn’t that make the i8 the most fuel efficient ICE-car available in the US?

People who buy this car aren't going to buy it for the "great gas mileage" and I doubt many would use it as a commuter car...

[1] People who buy this car aren't going to buy it for the "great gas mileage" [2] and I doubt many would use it as a commuter car...
1. Some people keep saying that. But who thought that Leonardo DiCaprio, Bradley Cooper, Harrison Ford, Miranda Kerr, Claudia Schiffer and Cameron Diaz would be buying a Prius?

And who thought that Matt Farah and Jennifer Lawrence would buy a Volt?

Regardless, the i8 seems to be selling rather well.

2. Aren’t a lot of people who are buying Porsche 911’s using them as daily drivers? If they can use a 911 as a daily driver, then why couldn’t these people or someone else use an i8 as a daily driver?

Last edited:
1. Not sure what you're trying to argue with your examples... I doubt they bought the Prius/Volt to save gas money, though.

2. Define "a lot." I can only speak from my experience in the US (where gas prices are very low), but looking at used car listings, the average miles/year for a 911 is low (seriously low, like less than 50%) compared to cars like, say a Toyota Camry or Prius.

Last edited:
1. Not sure what you're trying to argue with your examples... I doubt they bought the Prius/Volt to save gas money, though.

2. [& 3] Define "a lot." I can only speak from my experience in the US (where gas prices are very low), but looking at used car listings, the average miles/year for a 911 is low (seriously low, like less than 50%) compared to cars like, say a Toyota Camry or Prius.
1. There is one more upside to low gas mileage than just saving money at the pump. And that upside is reduced environmental impact. And that is the reason why I think the people in my example bought a Prius/Volt. At least it’s known that that was the reason why DiCaprio bought a Prius (and a Tesla Roadster and a Fisker Karma).

And, what other reason could there be?

2. One reason why the mileage/year for a 911 is ~50% of a Camry or a Prius[SUP]4[/SUP] could be that people who buy 911’s don’t like to spend their time driving longish commutes. And since they can afford to buy a 911 they can probably also afford housing in attractive neighborhoods close to their day job.

3. But yeah, maybe they do use another car for longish road trips if they do need to take such occasional trips. And maybe the reason for that is that the 911 doesn’t return a very good gas mileage. And that that actually has started to impact their conscience.

But with an i8, then suddenly there is no longer any other car short of a Tesla that could do the trips as efficiently... And if they feel that they just cannot spend the time to make the trip in a Tesla, then the i8 seems to be the second best choice.

But given 2, maybe 3 isn’t necessary to explain it…

[SUP]4[/SUP]Assuming this is in the ball park since I haven’t checked…

Last edited:
Many 911 owners keep them garaged and only take them out for "Sunday drives." Never in winter, never if rain is forecast, never where they have to park somewhere that could result in door dings, etc. sometimes the car comes out for a wash and wax, and then goes right back into the garage. Sometimes there are 20, 50, or over 100 such cars in the garage.

Other 911 owners use and enjoy their cars as daily drivers, but collector types keep the average miles per year down.

The i8 will likely be bought by the same types that buy 911s, Corvettes, etc.

GSP

......Also: It seems to me that it sounds pretty good. Note though that there was still a bug in the powertrain software that caused the gearbox to shift up prematurely… So with that caveat – decent sound-display @6:20:

And if I recall correctly, that particular i8 was 95% finished, so the production version might sound even better…

Sorry but I beg to differ on the sound, I am not impressed with it. Certainly not befitting an exotic ICE supercar.

It sounds more like 4 cylinder engine running on only 3 - because of a head gasket leak... (like my old Alfa Duetto :(). Ah oh yeah - it DOES have 3 cylinders.... I think for final production it would behoove BMW to use their active sound feedback to mask this sound of the engine.

Nope I definitely prefer the absolute quiet of my Tesla!

…/Other 911 owners use and enjoy their cars as daily drivers, but collector types keep the average miles per year down.

The i8 will likely be bought by the same types that buy 911s, Corvettes, etc.

GSP
Do these collector types buy regular brand new 911’s with the intent of saving them as collectables?

…/ Nope I definitely prefer the absolute quiet of my Tesla!
Absolutely no argument there! I would also prefer an all-electric Tesla over the sound of an ICE in an i8. Always and everyday.

Sorry but I beg to differ on the sound, I am not impressed with it. Certainly not befitting an exotic ICE supercar. /…
Arguably the most exotic ICE supercars made today are Formula 1 cars. And those have 1.6 liter engines. 0,1 liter bigger than an i8… But I guess Formula 1 cars are just not befitting as exotic ICE supercars anymore… [Shrug…]

{Ok. This one would have worked better if the current Formula 1 engines would have been 4 cylinders instead of the V6's they actually are. Oh, well...}

…/ It sounds more like 4 cylinder engine running on only 3 - because of a head gasket leak... (like my old Alfa Duetto :(). Ah oh yeah - it DOES have 3 cylinders...
I don’t get this “only”-argument about cylinders. It feels as relevant as saying that:

– Oh look! The Model S and the Roadster only has 1 electric motor. The i8 has 2 electric motors! And the SLS AMG Electric Drive has 4 electric motors!

Isn’t performance what matters? There is just no way BMW can get 112 MPGe on the European test cycle with a V8…

…/ It sounds more like 4 cylinder engine running on only 3 - because of a head gasket leak...

Don’t know what that sounds like – so I guess I’ve run out of ways to try and spin this around – ahem, I mean – counter that argument.

But the i8 doesn’t sound the least bit broken to me…

Last edited:
Arguably the most exotic ICE supercars made today are Formula 1 cars. And those have 1.6 liter 4 cylinder engines… 1 cylinder more and 0,1 liter bigger than an i8… But I guess Formula 1 cars are just not befitting as exotic ICE supercars anymore… [Shrug…]

Not really:

Engine - it’s out with 2.4-litre normally-aspirated V8 engines and in with 1.6-litre V6 turbo engines, revving to a maximum of 15,000rpm. The current engines produce more than 750bhp, whilst the 2014 units will produce around 600bhp with additional power coming from Energy Recovery Systems...

Energy Recovery Systems (ERS) - in 2014, a larger proportion of each car’s power will come from ERS which, together with the engine, make up the powertrain or power unit. As well as generating energy under braking, ERS units will also generate power using waste heat from the engine’s turbocharger. Unlike the current KERS - which give drivers an extra 80bhp for six seconds per lap - the 2014 ERS will give drivers around 160bhp for 33 seconds per lap.

Formula 1® - The Official F1® Website

An update on the sound from the i8 powertrain:

.../ We have posted a rare in-car i8 acceleration launch video to our YouTube page.

Our video shows the i8's gauge graphics as the car accelerates in Sport Mode, as well as providing a listen at the i8's raw mechanical sounds as it accelerates. While the production i8 will be equipped with Active Sound Design (enhanced interior sound technology), this particular car we're hearing has its Active Sound Design (ASD) disabled for testing purposes. ASD will not be able to be turned off by the driver in the production model (though BIMMERPOST members have found workarounds on other BMW models). ASD will sound different depending on the selected driving mode(s) - Sport, Comfort, Eco Pro. /...

Source:

We Detail the BMW i8 Exterior/Interior Active Sound and Pedestrian Protection System | bmwi.bimmerpost.com

Secondary sources:

BMW i8's three-cylinder sounds like it's shaping up quite nicely - Autoblog

The BMW i8's Three-Cylinder Sounds Like A Ferocious Demon | Jalopnik