Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that can't be true :eek:

are they trying to scam R&D money from the German taxpayers
Reading the automotive press the BMW numbers become much less dramatic. Also thinking about past BMW practice is relevant with the M1 and Z1, both of which cost much more to develop than their gross revenues from the vehicles. In short the i3 and i8 served as public technology demonstrators, not as independent commercial ventures on a stand alone basis. Thinking of only a single issue, economic mass production carbon fiber, much of the billions allocated to those two cars was actually preparing production technology to be used for all the rest of the line. The series-hybrid technology of the i3 needed scale public use to determine how useful it was too, and the i8 has a long list of deployed characteristics and technologies that need real world testing prior to deployment in the rest of the line.

So, when we look at these as R&D they do make much more sense, don't they?

BTW, I bought one of those Z1's in France when they were released. BMW spent a good deal of money replacing parts that did not last, but they eventually fixed them all. Those BMW's seem to be equivalent to the Tesla Roadster. Of course Tesla never spends Billions on testing a new concept. Not yet.

.../ true story follows:

Charging at the Omni Mount Washington Resort | New Hampshire Resorts was just hopping on the shuttle to get to the Lodge across
the road and a woman on the shuttle says to me "Is that your Tesla? Nice. The BMW salesman never told us our i8 only get 15 miles on a charge".

Your mileage may vary...?
That’s interesting on several levels…

- - - Updated - - -

Found another review (or whatever):

NOTE: There's no sound during the 'intro' so mind your ears if you're wearing headphones or some such...

Last edited by a moderator:
Per Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard, there was weird huge uptick on BMW i8 US sales w/656 sold/leased vs. most months of 100-200 or so.

I wonder what happened there? (Side note: One showed up at my work. I know the driver.)

Did they perhaps end up getting "sold" and then get turned into used cars? The only reason why I mention that is my friend accidentally stumbled across a surprisingly high # of used low mileage i8's listed on autotrader. At the time (recently), he found 168 used i3 but 140 used i8!

Take a look at http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Used+Cars/BMW/i8/Los+Angeles+CA-90024?endYear=2017&firstRecord=0&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&makeCode1=BMW&mmt=%5BBMW%5BBMWI8%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=BMWI8&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=415507379&showcaseOwnerId=94837&sortBy=mileageASC&startYear=1981&Log=0. I count about a dozen with under 150 miles on them, including some used ones with between 5 and 18 miles.

There are also a whole bunch with between 200 and ~3K miles. What happened?

Per Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard, there was weird huge uptick on BMW i8 US sales w/656 sold/leased vs. most months of 100-200 or so.

I wonder what happened there? (Side note: One showed up at my work. I know the driver.)

Did they perhaps end up getting "sold" and then get turned into used cars? The only reason why I mention that is my friend accidentally stumbled across a surprisingly high # of used low mileage i8's listed on autotrader. At the time (recently), he found 168 used i3 but 140 used i8!

Take a look at http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...=94837&sortBy=mileageASC&startYear=1981&Log=0. I count about a dozen with under 150 miles on them, including some used ones with between 5 and 18 miles.

There are also a whole bunch with between 200 and ~3K miles. What happened?

Its common for rare/exotic cars which have a waiting list to be bought only to resell for a profit. I don't know the specifics, but as I understand it either the car manufacturers have a rule or some law exists that you can't sell it for 1 year. I haven't checked timelines, but I assume that is what is going on here.