Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BMW i8 vs The Real World - PistonHeads

Up to this point the i8 offers a videogame-like sense of invincibility - at times it feels like a virtual reality experience with the road and other traffic projected onto the windscreen. But at the point where things suddenly start to get a bit real it rather runs out of ideas and falls back on the stability control. This, combined with the real-world mpg, starts to raise questions about whether or not this really is The Answer or simply a very complex and expensive stop-gap. Had the i8, for instance, a Tesla-like all-electric powertrain it'd all of a sudden be a true forward-thinker.

kind of see that as well but it still looks great. i mean let's be honest the MODEL S looks like a ford fusion on steroids. lol

lol -To each his own but if we're going to be honest, its more accurately stated that the Fusion is trying to look like the Model S or Aston Martin AFTER Ford jacked body design/stylings for their Fusion model year 2013.

ford-fusion-mondeo-accused-of-looking-too-much-like-an-aston-martin-50553-7.jpg

lol -To each his own but if we're going to be honest, its more accurately stated that the Fusion is trying to look like the Model S or Aston Martin AFTER Ford jacked body design/stylings for their Fusion model year 2013.

View attachment 70427

yeah, the sharp lines on the Ford... I never really thought the MS looked anything like the Fusion either. With the side-by-side it really does look like a cheaper version of the Aston Martin.

Great interesting thread guys - You really can't compare the I8 to the Tesla they are two different vehicles - one is purely electric (battery only) and the other (BMW I8) for the most part only uses the electric for the front axle to assist the twin turbo / 6 speed gas engine in the rear for 4 wheel drive launch off the line. The design was never intended to travel around in electric mode like the Tesla. For other than stop and go traffic or for pulling out of a parking lot,or short runs, the average I8 driver would seldom use the electric only mode since the range only averages less than 15 miles.

Regards

Mike

I agree talking about different cars is good - but these are two cars designed for two different purposes!

Sorry, I don't understand what these different purposes are. Can you please elaborate? The one area where they differ significantly is that you can't fit 5 real people in an i8, but except for that the Tesla mostly outperforms the i8. So the i8 is definitely better for people who hate other people and/or children? :)

Sorry, I don't understand what these different purposes are. Can you please elaborate? The one area where they differ significantly is that you can't fit 5 real people in an i8, but except for that the Tesla mostly outperforms the i8. So the i8 is definitely better for people who hate other people and/or children? :)

...and minority report.

i am in no way planing a faimly, 80% of my cars have 2 doors and 2 seats. im very willing to plop down 100-ish k for the models, the i-8 is not even on the radar.

Did any one see the latest episode of Top Gear where Clarkson reviews the i8

he loved the car and said it was excellent, but of course he still managed to mess up recharging the battery at a public charger :rolleyes:

still no mention of the model S or Tesla on the program

Yes, but the public charger was highly likely offline as 25+% of that network has been down at any given time for months. It's driving British Leaf owners crazy. I'm giving him a pass on that one.

He also said afterwards that he only got 31(UK) MPG over the whole trip. It's hardly stellar fuel economy.

Still, for Clarkson to prefer it to the M3 it must be doing something right.

This is from Andrew McCredie -- the driving editor of the Vancouver Sun and Province newspapers (the largest ones in BC) and a member of the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada:

... in most cases, electric and hybrid cars are the ugly ducklings of the motoring world. Even the much-ballyhooed Tesla Model S has an exterior only a Camry owner could get excited about. BMW has smashed that plain Jane stereotype with the release of its latest flagship car, the i8 ...

An electrifying supercar Design Magazine

Too bad that my back yard has a newspaper vehicle editor with no sense of style or understanding of the difference between the Model S and i8.

This is from Andrew McCredie -- the driving editor of the Vancouver Sun and Province newspapers (the largest ones in BC) and a member of the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada:

An electrifying supercar Design Magazine

Too bad that my back yard has a newspaper vehicle editor with no sense of style or understanding of the difference between the Model S and i8.

why do you care about someone's subjective opinions? nothing is more subjective than looks.

altho yes , he IS wrong

Yes, but the public charger was highly likely offline as 25+% of that network has been down at any given time for months. It's driving British Leaf owners crazy. I'm giving him a pass on that one. /...
So why didn't he say so then? In the broadcast he pretends something else – whatever it is...

When showing off the i8 phone app, that app clearly tells him "CHARGING ERROR" – albeit in a rather tiny font. But it is RED and in CAPITALS...

clarkson_busted.png

Then he pretends to just have found out that it hadn't worked when he returns to the i8 to unplug it.