Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s all about weight transfer.

A Lotus Elise wears 175 tires front, yet it will turn in and corner faster than almost anything else because it’s curb weight is below 900kg. So tire width doesn’t tell you a lot about a cars’ handling. Many powerful sportscars with RWD will need wide tires to put the power to the ground. The i8 has AWD so it doesn’t need that obviously.

On any open road across country the i8’s grip levels are very high. It takes a slow, deep corner and an extremely aggressive entry to get the tires squealing. Put some higher tire pressure into the rear and the car will oversteer. To me handling is all about balance, feel but less about sheer grip. You need grip and downforce on the track. But there you use semi-slicks and a whole new world applies, anyway. On the street it’s entirely different story. To me the i8 is a welcome exception to the ultra high grip levels of some other supercars which are IMPOSSIBLE to explore on the open road. Pushing a Porsche GT3 10/10s outside a race track is idiotic and dangerous.

Yep. It's not the batteries that are a problem....this ending note from transportevolved.com is pretty amusing though:

bmw-i8-plug-hybrid-sports-car-recalled-faulty-fuel-tank-leading-fire-risk

And while we’re not trying to make light of the situation, we’re pretty sure some Tesla fans somewhere will use this unfortunate and serious recall to resurrect the #notatesla meme. While this particular recall wouldn’t have happened if the i8 was a purely electric sports car, we’d like to remind readers that it’s not considered nice to indulge in schadenfreude of fellow plug-in car owners, especially if they have a gasoline engine too.

Yep. It's not the batteries that are a problem....this ending note from transportevolved.com is pretty amusing though:

bmw-i8-plug-hybrid-sports-car-recalled-faulty-fuel-tank-leading-fire-risk

It only gets brought up because otherwise it would continue to get ignored. The only places that ever mentioned these things are EV places or the various pro Tesla people. Everyone else was happy to jump on not just the "death trap" scenario, butany were inclined to go as far as to make it some conspiracy about designing and inherently dangerous vehicle and about how Elon Musk is just playing everyone for fools.

I digress. I am glad they caught this BEFORE someone got hurt.

Helloooo BMW i8 ?! 1990 calling...Nissan wants their 300zx body design back but feel free to keep the rear aero fins :wink:

BMW-i8-Frankfurt-Live-00-520x344.jpg

03E96F8F-56B4-4AEA-A4FD-120CB8DE4EE2_1.jpg