Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW, Lexus, Mercedes GPS are useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My parents recently bought a new Lexus GX so it comes with the most up to date GPS / infotainment system. But it's still a drag to enter addresses in or use the actual GPS that my parents will still resort to just using the iPhone map because it's much faster. Even though this is a brand new car bought in 2022, but the GPS still feels like the same as cars from 2005-2010 and not like a smart phone. I thought it make sense if all cars just used google maps because it's more universal and can find businesses faster.

Why are the traditional car companies not able to make a decent GPS like Telsa has? The Tesla maps uses Google Maps so it works very closely like the one on the iPhones. But the other car maps have some out of date map system that takes forever to enter destinations that it's faster to just do it on the iPhone. But then its a waste to not use your car's GPS system because it's too slow and cumbersome to enter a business name or address. The nice thing about the Tesla Google maps is it works just like the google maps on your iPhone. Like you can enter the address and it will know the city its in so less stuff to enter. Or just search a business by name and it should find it.

My parents recently bought a new Lexus GX so it comes with the most up to date GPS / infotainment system. But it's still a drag to enter addresses in or use the actual GPS that my parents will still resort to just using the iPhone map because it's much faster. Even though this is a brand new car bought in 2022, but the GPS still feels like the same as cars from 2005-2010 and not like a smart phone. I thought it make sense if all cars just used google maps because it's more universal and can find businesses faster.

Why are the traditional car companies not able to make a decent GPS like Telsa has? The Tesla maps uses Google Maps so it works very closely like the one on the iPhones. But the other car maps have some out of date map system that takes forever to enter destinations that it's faster to just do it on the iPhone. But then its a waste to not use your car's GPS system because it's too slow and cumbersome to enter a business name or address. The nice thing about the Tesla Google maps is it works just like the google maps on your iPhone. Like you can enter the address and it will know the city its in so less stuff to enter. Or just search a business by name and it should find it.
Manufacturers aren’t bothering with proprietary navigation because 95% of the world is using Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

Unless you have a Tesla of course…