Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW to start charging monthly for seat warmers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WhiteWi

Feb 21, 2021
Planet X
I can get most of what is offered on my iPhone except of course for the specific car related functions such as live view camera. I just can’t see the advantage of paying for some thing that I always have in my pocket. But we aren’t commuting every day and don’t live in an area that we run into traffic issues on a regular basis. I understand the value to others but I just don’t see it offering added value for us.
Maybe you would love to pay subscription for seat warmers at BMW since you not liking Tesla offer :)

Reactions: laservet
Is BMW actually charging for that? It would be ridiculous. It’s not that I don’t like the Tesla offer, it’s just that I don’t personally seem to have much use for it.

BMW drivers in a few countries will have to pay:
heated seats, $18 per month
automatic high beams (roughly $12/mth)
steering wheel heating (roughly $12/mth)
safety camera alerts ($30/mth)
Online music library ($213 a year).
ConnectedDrive, $50 per year to access
update navigation maps, $200 per year (after the third year) to

Varies by county. Some of this is current; some in the works.

I'd hate to see the price for ventilated/cooled seats.

Is that in the USA? I can’t see people in this country actually going for that.

Is that in the USA? I can’t see people in this country actually going for that.

Several of the items haven’t been implemented yet. Which countries, including the US is still under discussion. Other items are existing in the US.

Keep in mind that BMW was charging for Apple Car Play in the US for a while. Due to outcry they eventually stopped.

Reactions: WhiteWi
BMW is offering the subscription options for those who didn't purchase those items when the car was purchased. Don't want to pay $400 for heated seats, you can pay $18/mo in the winter. Doesn't look as bad in that light but could have been implemented more smoothly.

GM is also dipping its toes into the subscription income stream in an odd way. Initially just for GMC and Buick purchases, there is a mandatory three year subscription to the OnStar and Connected Services Plan that costs anywhere from $905 to $1675, depending on the chosen trim level. A Buick Enclave, for example, is $1500, or about $10 per week.

A GM spokesman explained in an interview with GM Authority, "To enhance our customers' vehicle ownership experience, beginning June 2, 2022, new retail Buick and GMC vehicles will include three years of OnStar and Connected Services Premium Plan. This offering provides our owners with a full suite of OnStar and Connected Services for three years, providing them with more time to enjoy services such as remote key fob, Wi-Fi data and OnStar safety services. By including this plan as standard equipment (my emphasis) on the vehicle, it provides more customer value and a more seamless onboarding experience."

Looks like GM is redefining a mandatory addon at substantial additional cost as standard equipment.

I remember when Toyota had to stop their subscription plan for the key fob remote due to huge blowback from the public. Toyota claimed it was an "unintentional move."

BMW is offering the subscription options for those who didn't purchase those items when the car was purchased. Don't want to pay $400 for heated seats, you can pay $18/mo in the winter. Doesn't look as bad in that light but could have been implemented more smoothly.

Yep. What they're actually doing is kinda a cool idea - if I only needed an otherwise expensive option for a little while, I can pay for it while I need it and save some dollas.

But this was a marketing-release nightmare. I think it got leaked ahead of their official verbiage, they lost control of the message, and it was interpreted incorrectly as "you can only get seat heaters via a subscription."

Reactions: laservet