Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW tries to fight my Model S - somewhat successful...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jpet, did you have the rear facing seats?

I don't have the rear facing seats but at the body shop they've shown me the additional steel tube that is inserted into the standard alu tube for extra protection in that case.
The steel will certainly offer better protection when you have children at the back but it might also offer less "soft" material to absorb the impact so I'm not sure which is better if you don't have children sitting at the back.

Was there encroachment from the inside into the floor compartment of the trunk? Do you have any photos by any chance?

Yes, there's significant damage to the inside of the trunk, especially the deep area. The lid on top does no longer fit and I had difficulty removing the stuff that was stored inside. I didn't take pictures. I don't think they would have been very clear because of the dark liner. The trunk consists of different parts that are glued / riveted / soldered together. Several of those parts will have to be replaced. It's because of this type of work that I had to drop off my car at the only certified body shop for Belgium and Luxemburg that can do this type of work. They are also certified to work on Ferraris and Aston Martins. I've seen mostly Ferraris and Tesla's at the shop. They get to work on 5 additional Tesla's every single week so they have more than enough experience to get this right.

I've joined the club yesterday...

I was rear ended at around 40 mph while I was at a standstill in a traffic jam.
The alu frame of my car is bent at the back and for safety reasons the service center had me drive the car to a certified body shop immediately.
Given the holidays the body shop is closing down now so it will probably be around 4 weeks before I have my car back.
There's a good chance it's the end of the story for the BMW.

View attachment 105164

View attachment 105165

did the girl look as good neck up as she did neck down?

oh and sorry about your car :(

did the girl look as good neck up as she did neck down?

oh and sorry about your car :(

She immediately called her boyfriend. It was his car... :wink: Friendly people, no complaints.
Next Monday the insurance expert will inspect my car (after a 2 week wait given the holidays).
I will be present to make sure he doesn't try to minimize what needs to be done since my car is only 9 months old and as new.
Hope the body shop will be able to start working on it soon after...

A very large box with dozens of parts has arrived:

Doos met onderdelen.jpg

Achterklep.jpg

There's too much work for the body shop to be able to make an estimate of the total cost at this point in time.
The back of the car needs to be completely dismantled first.

Note the damage to the deep part of the trunk:

Koffer binnen ingedeukt.jpg

I also asked about the current cost of an 85 kWh battery since that's a question that is regularly popping up on TMC.
The answer was between 20 and 25K EUR. My battery is fine but it's interesting info.

Tomorrow it will be 4 weeks...

As I was close, I decided to stop at the garage repairing my Model S (Tesla certified partner, AMAG Switzerland, importer of Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda/Porsche). Short version:

The wheel is fixed already. That needed to be done first anyway, to be able to measure out all the rest, after. Car had to stand on its own.
Conclusion:
No major damage, suspension is fixed, new rim as old one was scratched severely, new tire too (on the left also, to keep it symmetric). The drivetrain, front motor ... are intact, need no work, and the car moves/drives on its own, already

Rear door is replaced already, only needs the black paint/finishing. Front door also, but that one is not mounted yet. But they got a new front door ready, also.

Front fender: replaced, just not painted yet, same as rear door.

The frame around the lower parts of the front door has been bent. That part will be cut out and replaced. The part has arrived today, maybe, they have got a delivery from Tesla, but not opened it yet when I was there.

Rear fender: scratches and slight dents, nothing too bad, I don't think they will replace that. I guess they'll fill that, and paint it.

The biggest delays are due to part delivery from Tesla. Officially Tesla promises 5 working days for every part, coming from the Netherlands, Tilburg. Parts used commonly are stored at the actual body repair shop where my car is, but a few had to be ordered from Tesla.
Some things will only show up DURING repair, and that means: new parts order, new wait...

By now, they think they can work quite quick once the last door frame part (only lower section) arrives. The rest should be 'easy'.

Notes:
- No damage on the left side.
- No damage to the motors / drive units
- After the body work is done, car has to be brought to the Winterthur Service Center (Tesla) to justify radar and camera. The body shop only does the setup for the wheels, not for the assistance systems. Tesla will do a final check, anyway.

so long... let's hope to have it back withing 3 weeks, or so. The guy said "This year, for sure!" :(

Would you happen to know if all of the pieces and parts are in fact 100% genuine Tesla OEM or are some 3rd party OEM spec parts being sourced?

Thanks for the continued updates.

Status as of today... After 4 weeks still waiting for all parts to arrive to start the body work...
There is some hope the base plate for the trunk, the most important missing part, will arrive this week but let's wait if it turns out to be true.
This is clearly a weak point for Tesla to improve upon. Tesla Service is excellent if you don't damage your car but it is absolutely not what it should be if you get into an accident.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you happen to know if all of the pieces and parts are in fact 100% genuine Tesla OEM or are some 3rd party OEM spec parts being sourced?

In my case it are 100% Tesla parts but I don't think there's anything potentially OEM that needs replacement on the rear end of my car.

The Tesla warranty states that they will not warrant any non-Tesla parts on the car. As such, I think the insurance company, while perhaps wanting to use non-OEM, would ultimately be forced to purchase directly from Tesla or they risk taking the car out of warranty.

I don't really know how that would work, though. You'd have the insurance company trying to save money, but in doing so they'd totally screw the owner if they rebuilt a Tesla with non-OEM parts. I'm guessing that legally they can't do anything that voids the manufacturer's warranty, and it would be really stupid to do so anyway.

And I for sure would not agree if any parts were non Tesla. I'm keeping a close eye on the situation but so far there's no reason to believe the insurance company would even try to do anything that would lower the repair price. Note that there's only one body shop for Belgium and Luxembourg that has the official Tesla license to do these types of repairs. They for sure are following the Tesla procedure to the letter.

Update from my side, sorry for the long wait:

- I got the car back on Dec. 18

- Driven it a lot, since - works, drives, as new.

- Still, 3 minor issues:
a. they forgot (!) to paint over a scratch at the lowest corner of the a pillar. Only a very tiny spot, about 3mm x 3mm, the tip of the pillar... but scratched across.
b. the inside of my car's ceiling (light fabric) is dirty - the mechanics managed to touch it with their fingers. black fingerprints on both B-pillars
c. right front door does not close as easily (fall close on its own) as the left one.

- I brought it back on Jan. 20, for one day. They fixed all the above (fingerprints, scratch) but the door - it is better by now, not remarkable by anyone who does not know about it - but they've got to deal with my wife here who said "it's different" - and that counts. We'll wait for the rubber to wear in, and I'm welcome to pass by as many times as needed till we're happy. For free, of course.

The insurance company is STILL checking the body shops bill in order to calculate the loss I will get payed for. I'll have to wait, but hey, I wait while driving, that's the most important thing.

For those interested: About 25'000 CHF (12k parts, 12k labor, 8% VAT).

Boy, what a process that's been. Glad you're finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, and great news that she's almost as good as new. Maybe the new door seal just doesn't like the cold and it'll be better in the spring.

Thanks for taking us along on this journey, and hopefully the last couple issues and the insurance stuff all get taken care of smoothly.

Oh, and per Google (for those of us in the US):
25000 Swiss Franc equals
$24,406.91 US Dollars

Last edited:
I got a questionnaire from Tesla after having my car for a month. In the area for future improvements, I asked that they do something about the supply chain issues with repairs to keep existing customers satisfied. Hopefully they'll listen.