Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boat Towing with Model X-Range expectations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m considering an X, but I want it to be able to tow this boat round trip from Tesla HQ in Palo Alto, to Point Lobos State Reserve in Carmel, CA.

Anyone have experience towing something like this 16’ Zodiac? I can’t quite tell how it compares to the kinds of trailers folks have been posting... One note — we’ll have 300+ pounds of dive gear in the back of the X.

Attachments

• CA338703-4D97-462C-AAF3-E7B7889E797E.jpeg
    CA338703-4D97-462C-AAF3-E7B7889E797E.jpeg
    662.3 KB · Views: 203
I’m considering an X, but I want it to be able to tow this boat round trip from Tesla HQ in Palo Alto, to Point Lobos State Reserve in Carmel, CA.

Anyone have experience towing something like this 16’ Zodiac? I can’t quite tell how it compares to the kinds of trailers folks have been posting... One note — we’ll have 300+ pounds of dive gear in the back of the X.
Any Model X with any size wheels can easily pull two of those.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Thanks...I should be clearer. I am trying to figure out realistic range.

The dive spot is 97 miles one way, if I take the flattest route to get there. So round trip, we’re talking a need for just under 200 miles of range, plus a buffer. (Plus deterioration over time...I tend to keep my cars until they wear out.)

Aside from test-driving with the trailer, is there any way to estimate whether the range will be enough?

Thanks...I should be clearer. I am trying to figure out realistic range.

The dive spot is 97 miles one way, if I take the flattest route to get there. So round trip, we’re talking a need for just under 200 miles of range, plus a buffer. (Plus deterioration over time...I tend to keep my cars until they wear out.)

Aside from test-driving with the trailer, is there any way to estimate whether the range will be enough?

If you had the newest model X (325 epa range) with 20 inch wheels you would need to keep Wh/mi under 475 you would be able to make the full round trip on a 100% charge. You would get back with ~8-10%.

I am guessing that in ideal weather/wind conditions this would be doable but it is only a guess.

Are you against stopping to charge on the way back?

I’m not totally against it, but Monterey gets very busy and the chargers are hard to access. Also the day trip and diving can add up to a lot of tiredness by the end of the day...except in high summer it’s dark when I get home and it’s no fun cleaning gear in the dark.

If you had the newest model X (325 epa range) with 20 inch wheels you would need to keep Wh/mi under 475 you would be able to make the full round trip on a 100% charge. You would get back with ~8-10%.

I am guessing that in ideal weather/wind conditions this would be doable but it is only a guess.

Are you against stopping to charge on the way back?

Thanks for the calculations! In my experience, I have a 2018 Model X 100D with range-eating 22” wheels, and I floor it quite often. My lifetime is 410 Wh/mi. If you don’t drive like a madman, you’re going to be just fine.

Most of the experience we have on the forum is folks towing small to medium sized camper trailers. At freeway speeds, those often cut the range in half.

I would think the impact of a little boat like that would be significantly smaller, but I haven't seen anyone reporting results from towing one.

Most of the experience we have on the forum is folks towing small to medium sized camper trailers. At freeway speeds, those often cut the range in half.

I would think the impact of a little boat like that would be significantly smaller, but I haven't seen anyone reporting results from towing one.
Also worth noting that the range is generally reduced by half AND driving speed to get that range is reduced to 55 mph. That's the law in California, anyway, but the reduced speed is still worth mentioning so there are no surprises...

There really is no way to accurately predict your Wh/mi usage in advance. I recommend running a test first. All you need is about a 20 mile trip on level roads, maintaining a consistent speed, and see what number you get.

As others have noted, max towing speed in California is 55mph and I recommend you stick to that. Tickets are expensive, and safety is important.

My guess is the extra aerodynamic drag of the Zodiac will result in about a 1/4 increase in energy usage at 55mph. If you go 60mph it could be a 1/3 increase. The added weight makes little difference.

I’m also a scuba diver and have dove Point Lobos.

That looks so light you wouldn't even feel it in the go-pedal while driving...
fiberglass hull with 50hp outboard and trailer might all weigh 1500 lbs?
model x has no issue towing up to the limit of 5000 lbs. even up steep grades
The OP knows that many people tow travel trailers with the X and that those trailers weigh much more than his Zodiac inflatable with its motor. The issue is what his range is going to be while towing, and range is decreased due to the increased aerodynamic drag which is not a function of weight (unless you are going uphill) but of the size and shape of what is being towed.

The OP knows that many people tow travel trailers with the X and that those trailers weigh much more than his Zodiac inflatable with its motor. The issue is what his range is going to be while towing, and range is decreased due to the increased aerodynamic drag which is not a function of weight (unless you are going uphill) but of the size and shape of what is being towed.

I wasn't responding to OP with that post but thanks

Last edited:
1252BA60-BACB-4DD1-8F9A-B027C2C56704.jpeg
View attachment 433003

We tow a 3500# Riverside White Water Retro trailer. It’s heavier than that Zodiac I bet, but possibly less wind resistance. Tesla Bjorn (Bjorn Nyland) has a You Tube Channel, and he towed several trailers draggy like yours. He has a spreadsheet of ModelX ranges towing various objects and I think it’s pretty accurate.
The spreadsheet is in a link in one of his towing videos.
Our range towing the trailer pictured is >120 miles 100D 19” wheels.
https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iko35Oqzs2A

Oh and for towing CHADeMO adapter is your friend Max Chademo charge rate we can get is about 45-47kwh in my experience. But these fill in the gaps along the west coast. They are not 100% reliable so have a secondary charge solution...another Chademo and or unhitch and hoof it to Supercharger. I’ve never had a problem TOWING. But several times when learning/testing local chargers they would fail. Most of the time calling the 800# gets me a charge, twice however I was glad I wasn’t towing and didn’t need the station as the operator on the other end was unable to help out, or the station was down.

Last edited: