Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body color roof vs pano...thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Piano roof advantages: view, OEM roof rack attachments, more headroom (particularly in the back seats).

Solid roof advantages: fewer moving parts (fewer things to break or leak), very slightly less weight, maybe not so hot?

Owning a solid roof car because it wasn’t worth the extra $$$ to me, no regrets.

I presume OP is asking about used cars, solid hasn’t been an option on new builds for awhile and I don’t think pano is either?

Bruce.

Can confirm the pano roof has more headroom throughout, although most noticeable in back seat. My friend has an identical car to mine right down to the build month, except his has solid roof (and ludicrous upgrade.. but whatever...) and there is definitely more headroom in my car.

I don't get the glass roof honestly, but I drive a lot with the roof open.
Living in CA you probably don't get heated mirrors or rear defroster either, or winter tires, or any of those people who complain about charge ports freezing, am I right? ;)

My personal preference is a solid roof, for better noise insulation and I prefer less sunlight in the cabin, but I get why people like glass or pano - their personal preference combined with where they use the car. My wife has the glass roof in her MS and she likes it, but also would not want pano. I do like the extra headroom in her car, but would still opt for solid roof if I had a choice again.

Do you get more head room with the pano?
I’m thinking the body color roof would be better for roof racks.
Thoughts?

As others have said -- no roof racks on solid roof cars only cars with pano; I think there is also something something XM radio as well (xm only on pano?)

I decided in june that I wanted a used tesla; there's quite a zoo of options available out there.

I "needed" an 85 pack, winter package, dual motor, AP1, 4 year warranty, not in white or black.
I wanted coil suspension, solid roof, 3rd row seats.

I ended up with a 5 seat 90D with air suspension, solid roof, winter package

For me I knew that I wanted some buffer against battery wear (thus a 60/70/75 was out) and I wanted AWD and a 4 year warranty.

I did not want but "settled" for air suspension since although it is a wear item there are lots of cars out there where the air suspension isn't a constant failure point, so I assumed that while a probable weakness, it isn't a fatal weakness.

Similarly, I argued with myself over the pano roof vs solid roof. My wife hates the solid roof (it is like a cave, according to her), I am inclined to like it because it is quieter than a pano roof and less likely to break / leak in the future. The pano roof is likely to be highly desirable as a selling point in the future because you can't get new cars with the pano roof. After having the car for 6 months I stand by liking my solid roof -- it is quiet like a tomb in my car, no squeaks or rattles and I never sit in the back seat.

My advice is stand your ground on as few "must haves" as needed; tesla is constantly playing with included features that also play a role in the long-term value of the cars such as the connectivity / charging; I would expect the actuarys at tesla to also adjust the warranty in the future because the "add 4 years to the bumper to bumper warranty on a car with 45k miles that's already 3.8 years old" is bonkers.

I've got B2B coverage almost as long as I've got battery / motor coverage.

Good luck!

Last edited: