Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bond Submarine Car, new toy for Elon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think some are/were hybrids, diesel when running on the surface, then electric when submerged. Some are of course nuclear. But my point was referring to a car that converts to a sub, i.e. the Bond car, which was an ICE in the movie, as I remember.

As a Lotus Esprit owner as well as a Roadster owner I have mixed feelings about this.

Of course as Elon has bought the James Bond car its his to do with what he wants and making it actually transform to a sub is awesome. On the other hand its a 40 year old piece of movie history and one of the most famous cars in the world. Why not start with a different Esprit to do this rather than modify and in some ways destroy the original. It would be very cool to have them displayed next to each other - original prop car and working EV powered car & keep a lot of Bond and Lotus fans happy.

Turning that car into a working submersible seems extremely difficult to me. It's one thing to make the car watertight at a modest depth, but controlling the buoyancy of the car so it can submerge to a specific depth -- but not too deep -- and then surface is going to be a challenge given that there is very little usable space on the vehicle.

As a Lotus Esprit owner as well as a Roadster owner I have mixed feelings about this.

Of course as Elon has bought the James Bond car its his to do with what he wants and making it actually transform to a sub is awesome. On the other hand its a 40 year old piece of movie history and one of the most famous cars in the world. Why not start with a different Esprit to do this rather than modify and in some ways destroy the original. It would be very cool to have them displayed next to each other - original prop car and working EV powered car & keep a lot of Bond and Lotus fans happy.

As an ex-Lotus owner as well, I agree with your point !

I don't know how I missed this thread first time around but in another post on this subject I too suggested that he'd generate huge respect by preserving the original film car and making up a working prototype from another base car. The net cost would be less, and the net value of both would be more.

I even know of a Lotus hoarder with a complete NOS unused Lotus Esprit 'shell' for him to start with and every other part he could ever wish for !! :biggrin:

(apologies for cell phone photo ..)

LotusEspritshellforTeslaBoss_zps2afac2d5.jpg