Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this happened on Sunday. As I went too open the boot as normal, towards the end of the opening there was a crunch and then the boot beeped a few times and proceeded to shut itself. It wouldn't close properly, but I managed to close it with a gentle nudge so I could at least get home as I was 2 hours away,

I can't see any obvious signs of the cause but now I'm left with this damage where the sections of boot and roof have collided.

It now opens and closes, but closes on the left side a fraction of a second before the right.

I had a service appointment booked in for the drivers seat already in a few weeks, so managed (I think) to add an additional service action for this boot issue via the app.

Hopefully Tesla will fix it under warranty, and do a decent paint job on the repair.

154A1824-E348-4500-B4D9-BA03F58E089D.jpeg
52D10DDA-8ADD-4AFD-BB88-5EFBAABC4A0A.jpeg

Last edited:
I've seen this problem talked elsewhere on here.

Doesn't seem to be a consensus about why it happens. The car only has a powered strut on the left so conceivably if they're not in "sync" then it could result in twisting, and if the tolerance between the boot and the back of the car is small then I guess that's why it's catching on the bodywork.

Can't see why it wouldn't be fixed under warranty to be honest. Keep us posted on how you get on.