TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bosch builds Level 4 autonomous car based on Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by ecarfan, Oct 5, 2016.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

See Australia's first self-driving car ready for the road this week - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Quote: "German multinational Bosch developed the vehicle at its Australian plant in a joint venture with the Victorian Government, which has invested $1.2 million in the project.
    Using the shell of a Tesla with Bosch components, the manufacturers say the car is 10 years ahead of other self-driving vehicles on the market.
    "We have developed this vehicle to what we would describe as level four highly autonomous state, which is just before you get to a driverless car," Mr Smith said.
    "The function within incorporates 60 additional components, six radars, six LIDARs, high resolution GPS, and a stereo video camera.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is a lot of expensive hardware.

2. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

It just seems to me that the interpretive software and data collection are just as important as sensors, but take longer and require progression through other levels. This is where the "straight to 4" people miss the boat. I believe this car may be a showcase of sensors that may look like what's on a level 4 car, but without the brain.

3. theboom1

theboom1 Member

I want one. Perfect level for me is level 4. I can drive when I what which is something I will always want to be able to do. But i can let the car drive if I don't want to.

4. voyager

voyager Member

A German company that is experimenting driverless technology with an American car somewhere down yonder.... Probably because Australia is still a pretty empty continent.