Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boston Globe- Top Drives for 2013- Model S Missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aronth5

Long Time Follower
Supporting Member
May 8, 2010
Boston Suburb
Today's Sunday edition of the Boston Globe lists the "Reviewers Awards for the Top Drives for 2013".
Not surprisingly the Model S was not included. The reason has nothing to do with the car. They simply have
not been able to drive one. (confirmed) The Globe also failed to cover the dealership law suit and the Natick store/mall story.
Will be interesting to see how long it finally takes them to even mention Tesla? Maybe with a store in Natick now
we'll see a story this year.

Probably best to limit any comments to their general statement that unlike other car manufacturers Tesla has not provided the Globe with a Model S to review. As to the lack of coverage on the Mass Dealership lawsuit we may see something about Tesla in the business section in the near term.

Probably best to limit any comments to their general statement that unlike other car manufacturers Tesla has not provided the Globe with a Model S to review. As to the lack of coverage on the Mass Dealership lawsuit we may see something about Tesla in the business section in the near term.

Not surprising. Big newspaper reviewers commonly require the car for several days (often a week) in order to review it. To my knowledge the only papers which have gotten it for that long (as opposed to major car mags) are the New York Times and Los Angeles Times. The LA Times had some kind of issue early on and didn't even complete their review AFAIK.

Regardless, Tesla is still a bit short on cars to be able to hand out for long reviews and the Boston Globe is several rungs down on the pecking order for getting that kind of access.

No, we didn't test a Model S

You are all correct, the Globe has never tested a Model S. As the section's co-editor, I've never seen a test car in the area nor have I spotted one on the road. Sooner or later, we'll try one. Personally I'd like to see how it handles our winter, and not the pristine California roads where every other journalist has driven it.

As for lack of coverage in the Business section, I can't speak for how that section operates, but I must agree the Globe should have done something on it. I covered the lawsuit, before it was overturned, for Boston.com.

I recently sat in the top-tier Model S and was very impressed by the materials and build quality, but to be honest, I don't think the Model S deserves "Car of the Year" honors. It is an incredible engineering feat in very limited production, the buying experience has only until recently become somewhat normal, and the lack of charging infrastructure and high price means this is a great second car at best. I'm rooting for Tesla (I've driven three Roadsters) and they have a great business model. For now, the Model S is too exotic and too unreasonable for most buyers -- even those with lots of money. Had we tested it for a week as we typically do, I don't think we could recommend it given those factors. I realize we have a Porsche 911, Merc SL, and Jag XKR-S on our list, but there are no strings attached with those cars, just very big gas bills.

-- Cliff Atiyeh

You are all correct, the Globe has never tested a Model S. As the section's co-editor, I've never seen a test car in the area nor have I spotted one on the road. Sooner or later, we'll try one. Personally I'd like to see how it handles our winter, and not the pristine California roads where every other journalist has driven it.

As for lack of coverage in the Business section, I can't speak for how that section operates, but I must agree the Globe should have done something on it. I covered the lawsuit, before it was overturned, for Boston.com.

I recently sat in the top-tier Model S and was very impressed by the materials and build quality, but to be honest, I don't think the Model S deserves "Car of the Year" honors. It is an incredible engineering feat in very limited production, the buying experience has only until recently become somewhat normal, and the lack of charging infrastructure and high price means this is a great second car at best. I'm rooting for Tesla (I've driven three Roadsters) and they have a great business model. For now, the Model S is too exotic and too unreasonable for most buyers -- even those with lots of money. Had we tested it for a week as we typically do, I don't think we could recommend it given those factors. I realize we have a Porsche 911, Merc SL, and Jag XKR-S on our list, but there are no strings attached with those cars, just very big gas bills.

-- Cliff Atiyeh

It's not my second car and I love it. 265 miles on a charge means I don't have any range anxiety. I suppose if you need to drive more than 265 miles in a day you will need to do some planning but that is pretty rare. Maybe it would be best if you lived with it for a week before forming an opinion.

Hi, Cliff: my Model S lives over in Charlestown, @cinergi has his in Southie, and I've seen at least one other parked around Charlestown -- so we are around! Admittedly few, but we're having fun.

I can understand why you wouldn't think it deserves COTY if you haven't driven a Model S. As a static car, it's only good-to-middling for its price point. As a driving machine, it puts everything you reviewed to shame. Driving down Storrow Drive in rush hour without touching the brake? Accelerating silently yet with gobs of power out of the Ted Williams Tunnel onto the Zakim Bridge? Yeah, good stuff.

We haven't had much of a winter yet to test out those issues, but so far I've driven every day (admittedly, with snow tires), and the car has been completely unruffled by the winter road conditions so far. Like its ICE brethren, it uses more power when it's cold; we just notice that more. Still, I did a round-trip to Portland ME without issues or the need to charge mid-course recently.

Tesla will soon open its West Natick store (as opposed to the Natick Gallery), and then they'll have test drive vehicles. I think you will be in for a very pleasant experience!

I finally have an appointment for a test drive in Natick on Sunday Feb 3rd. Wendy C, the store manager, has informed that they about to receive an 85KWH green model S (no Pano roof) for test drives. I have until Feb 6th to lock in my Model S config to avoid the price increase. Pressure's on now!

I finally have an appointment for a test drive in Natick on Sunday Feb 3rd. Wendy C, the store manager, has informed that they about to receive an 85KWH green model S (no Pano roof) for test drives. I have until Feb 6th to lock in my Model S config to avoid the price increase. Pressure's on now!

I locked in yesterday, after a test drive at the Westchester gallery that Wendy helped arrange, and a ride in Robert's car on Monday. Feb/Mar delivery window. Cliff, there will be another Model S around, in Cambridge - and I've sighted a Signature Red one near the Cambridgeside Galleria recently.

Welcome to the forum, Cliff. Contrary opinions (re: COTY) are definitely welcome as well. It spices up the discussion, and keeps people honest. :)

Cliff I echo brianman's comment. Always good to have differing opinions. As to the Globe, until you to get a Model S to try out it wouldn't hurt to mention Tesla in the notes section following your Sunday car review.