Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Both Keycard and Phone failed to unlock car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weirdest thing happened to me tonight.

Walked to car tried to unlock door with phone as usual, didn't work. Not a big deal, been using Android pixel and has happened 3 times the past week of owning the car.

I tried to disconnect and reconnect Bluetooth to retry and failed. Tried to open Tesla app to unlock doors. It would register to unlock on app but my car did not. Then the app shows the car locked again.

No big deal, at this time I pulled my Keycard which I use when this happens but for the first time, it didn't open the door. At this time I was panicking a bit. Tried holding it on the pillar for 5-10seconds. Tried swiping it up and down the pillar slowly... No dice.

Read some reddit forums which didn't help beyond what I tried. Then finally I kept trying with my Keycard after 20mins and the car beeped and opened...

Was wondering if this ever happened to anyone? Any advice? Thank you!

Had the car since October and have never had anything like that happen, I'm using a pixel 3 phone, previously had a razer phone and other then the one time my phone's battery died I have never had to use the key card, just hit 20,000 km today

It's possible that the car was starting up/booting/restarting/rebooting and you were attempting to use the keycard during this time. This is purely a guess on my part. On my end, sometimes when I walk up to car and pull door handle, it doesn't work. If I walk away a few steps and come back, it works then. I haven't found any pattern that's repeatable. The condition is uncommon (~ once every couple of months...)

Reactions: mswlogo