Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Both pedals pressed" warning - but I wasn't

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was sitting in an intersection waiting for traffic to clear so I could make a left turn. I was either completely stopped, or I was creeping (after I'd previously stopped for the light). My foot was not on the accelerator. Got the visual warning & an audible one as well. It was very brief, basically disappeared from the UI right after I saw it, and I'm guessing my natural reaction was to press more on the brake.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced instances of incorrect warnings like this in the Model 3?

Happened today around 2:10 or 2:15p (making a note here in case I need it later).

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: Kleenerth3 and TT97
So are you saying that you weren't pressing either pedal when you got the warning?
Since your message was empty perhaps you should explain what exactly was happening. Things like, was the car moving, stopped, parked, reverse, drive. How long was the message displayed, Two/one footed driving, junk on the floor of your car etc.etc.
Hit CNTL-A on a Windows machine to read it.

So are you saying that you weren't pressing either pedal when you got the warning?
Since your message was empty perhaps you should explain what exactly was happening. Things like, was the car moving, stopped, parked, reverse, drive. How long was the message displayed, Two/one footed driving, junk on the floor of your car etc.etc.

It was written in invisible ink (white), here is the text:

Was sitting in an intersection waiting for traffic to clear so I could make a left turn. I was either completely stopped, or I was creeping (after I'd previously stopped for the light). My foot was not on the accelerator. Got the visual warning & an audible one as well. It was very brief, basically disappeared from the UI right after I saw it, and I'm guessing my natural reaction was to press more on the brake.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced instances of incorrect warnings like this in the Model 3?

Happened today around 2:10 or 2:15p (making a note here in case I need it later).

• Informative
Reactions: arnolddeleon
[QUOTE="MarkBrokeIt, post: 2781987, member: 75771"]

[/QUOTE]

If it was a brief warning, you may have accidentally touched the accelerator as you were braking. I would have to do that back in the day driving manuals - heel-and-toe technique.

It was written in invisible ink (white), here is the text:

Thanks for revealing the invisible ink!

Given that the OP was unsure of what he was doing with his feet: "I was either completely stopped, or I was creeping" it seems plausible to me that perhaps he did briefly (and lightly) press both pedals.

I had never driven a Tesla so I test drove a Model S a few days ago and got this warning several times. I left-foot brake non-manual gearbox cars, and the advisor with me warned me I might hear the warning (I wasn't looking at display). I was coming off the brake with left foot as I was applying a small amount of accelerator pressure (which of course did nothing because I was also applying pressure to the brake pedal). After a few warning sounds I made sure to fully clear the brake pedal with left foot before applying accelerator with the right.

If the OP was using right foot, he could have brushed the accelerator slightly with right heel while moving toe to brake pedal.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Given that the OP was unsure of what he was doing with his feet: "I was either completely stopped, or I was creeping" it seems plausible to me that perhaps he did briefly (and lightly) press both pedals.
NOPE

The reason for highlighting that I was doing one or the other was to indicate that I DEFINITELY had my foot on the brake pedal. I either had the brake fully engaged, or it WAS fully engaged, then I backed off it a little to creep. Foot not on accelerator.

So what does the OP/TS want to hear? That this was a fault of the Model 3 and fhen what?

I had this happen to me in my Model S as well, the first second I thought it was the car, but in the end it turned out to be me who was running on ‘human autopilot’ and was not paying attention.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Pkmmte and DR61
If you are concerned, take the car to the service center. However, my experience with them is they will assume pilot error until you can provide evidence the car is acting up. So. Get a small cheap dash cam and set it up with a view of the pedals. If you get the notice, make a bug report using the voice command (which will log it for Tesla) and then pull the dash cam footage and see if your shoe was clear of the accelerator pedal.

Reactions: Akikiki
Happens to me all the time - especially when I cover the brake with the left foot and cover the "go pedal" with the right foot pre-launch... no biggie... also check your floor mat to make sure it's not hanging on the go pedal.....

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
This happened to me once. Coming down a fairly steep hill and needed to make a left turn. Was 100% certain that my foot was on the brake and I pressed it. Got the 2-pedal warning. Looked at my foot and saw that it wasn't where I thought it was, and the right part of my shoe did brush the accelerator. Moved my foot a bit over to the left and things were good.

Here's the thing: the brake pad is physically higher than the accelerator. So if you're gently resting your foot on the brake, it's very likely that it's only touching the brake. But if like me, your foot was a bit too far to the right, at a certain point after depressing the brake, part of your shoe will come in contact with the accelerator. And you likely won't even feel it because the accelerator has WAY less resistance than the brake pedal.

This is what I'd call an almost SUA. And even the driver insisting no accelerator touch is consistent with the pattern ;)

I'm getting the same warning, and I am most definitely not pressing both pedals. Here is video proof:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/14BK1pz1RcF9h2LH6

This has been happening fairly often lately. The last day or so, it's happened almost every time I slow via regen, then depress the brake, then when it gets down to about 5 or 6 MPH, I get this warning which repeats about 4 or 5 times, then stops. Then it happens again the next time I slow down. If I get a chance, I'll try to see if I can gather more data. Try with regen on/off etc.

And that's why I asked here, to see if this was a common thing that people had already observed.
Never heard of it.

I get that error message sometimes when maneuvering in the parking lot but I left-foot brake almost exclusively when driving, and my technique in parking lots is inherently very near the edge of triggering it because it doesn't really matter there.

I take it from your post that you have the vehicle in Creep mode? If it is something linked to that then that would tend to make it less common because my understanding is that using Creep is relatively uncommon.