Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought MS from Vroom. No title for a few weeks (so not Tesla App access until then). Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla app access is not required but you do need access to the account to put your credit card in, so technically app access is required. but like others have said.. go to your nearest supercharger and try it out... unless ofcourse you are far away from any

You can set up your app now as long as you use the same email that you are using with Tesla, set up a payment method within it and then Tesla can match your car to your app when you have title which should enable you to use a supercharger before the car is assigned.

If you have lifetime supercharging on the car it should just work.

if not as long as you have a Tesla account created, the car is in your account, and you have a credit card assigned you should be able to pay for supercharging.

As other have mentioned app is not required. Some people use cards / fobs.

Personally I always use the app / phone, expect for cases like mandatory valet or as a backup if the phone is low battery/dead/etc.

You can set up your app now as long as you use the same email that you are using with Tesla, set up a payment method within it and then Tesla can match your car to your app when you have title which should enable you to use a supercharger before the car is assigned.

If you have lifetime supercharging on the car it should just work.

if not as long as you have a Tesla account created, the car is in your account, and you have a credit card assigned you should be able to pay for supercharging.

As other have mentioned app is not required. Some people use cards / fobs.

Personally I always use the app / phone, expect for cases like mandatory valet or as a backup if the phone is low battery/dead/etc.

He just bought the car from a 3rd party.. the car is NOT on his account.. there's nothing for tesla to match up. he has to submit the sales documents to tesla first for the VIN number to show up in his account..

My model 3 allows me to enter a card number for supercharging on the cars touchscreen. I assume that it works the same on the S.

A dialogue pops up on the screen AFTER you finish the charge. It says that supercharging is disabled until you pay for the most recent charge, and then asks for you CC number. If you enter your card number on the screen, it says thanks for paying supercharging is re-enabled.

It doesn't save the CC number when you enter it via the touchscreen so it is annoying if you are going to charge a bunch before you get an account, but it does work.

Just an update for anyone curious:

I was able to Supercharge twice with no app access. After that second charge, a notice came up on my dash that said Supercharging disabled until a credit card was added to my account.

I then ended up getting app access, however, to my disappointment, I do not get free supercharging on my mid-year 2016 Model S. All the research I did before buying the car said that free supercharging comes with the car on 2016 and earlier models. Nope.

however, to my disappointment, I do not get free supercharging on my mid-year 2016 Model S. All the research I did before buying the car said that free supercharging comes with the car on 2016 and earlier models. Nope.
Do you know the full path of the car's ownership history? If it had ever been sold back to Tesla, they have been marking it as no more permanent Supercharging before reselling them again.

Do you know the full path of the car's ownership history? If it had ever been sold back to Tesla, they have been marking it as no more permanent Supercharging before reselling them again.

I suspect that tesla has agreements with all the major wholesale / auction houses where there's a standing offer to buy back connectivity/supercharging from the auction house while they own the car prior to selling it on to the dealership / retail seller.

The only way to be 100% sure is to buy from the actual titled owner after verifying that the car has the interesting features enabled.

It's a mess.

I then ended up getting app access, however, to my disappointment, I do not get free supercharging on my mid-year 2016 Model S. All the research I did before buying the car said that free supercharging comes with the car on 2016 and earlier models. Nope.

If you have documentation stating that it was included, you could bring that to Tesla. If not, send a service request through the Tesla app. They ended standard free Supercharging after January 1, 2017 however they have included it as an incentive from time to time since then. As yours is a mid-year 2016 Model S, I believe it would have been included as standard.

See also:

Tesla to charge new buyers for Supercharging after Jan 1 (2017)

It was purchased from Vroom, but the previous owner leased it from Tesla. The title I got from Vroom was in Tesla's name. So although I didnt buy it from Tesla, I guess Tesla was technically it's previous owner.

It was purchased from Vroom, but the previous owner leased it from Tesla. The title I got from Vroom was in Tesla's name. So although I didnt buy it from Tesla, I guess Tesla was technically it's previous owner.
Ah, yep. That has been their practice for a few years now. If they got the vehicle back at some point, their opinion is that they can "remove" the permanent lifetime Supercharging off of it, and then when it is resold it does not have that. I still don't think that is legal, but it's more of a grey area, and I seem to be in the minority in that view.

However, if it was sold directly to a person, and it has just been sold directly to other owners without Tesla ever acquiring it again, then they definitely do not have any authority to remove that permanent Supercharging from those older cars.

Just an update for anyone curious:

I was able to Supercharge twice with no app access. After that second charge, a notice came up on my dash that said Supercharging disabled until a credit card was added to my account.

Did Vroom list the car as having free supercharging?

If they did then you should seek some remedy from them.