TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Brake Caliper Paint?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by James88, Oct 16, 2019.

1. James88

James88 Member

I've been doing some research and have decided to paint my own brake calipers. Although it seems like a simple undertaking, the color that I'm trying to achieve is challenging (photobelow). I want to paint my brake calipers a super bright neon yellow and have only found it available in regular cans of paint. I'm wondering if I use caliper primer then do the neon yellow and then clear coat it with caliper clear if this will work?

[​IMG]

Would really love some advice or insight on anyone else that has been able to do this with a custom and unique color. Thanks!

2. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

In a year or so regular paint will start chipping. You need to powder coat them if you want it to last. Or at least use a paint designed for wheels (which still want last powder coating).

3. James88

James88 Member

Yeah definitely don't want it to chip! Wondering what's the best way to get calipers that color.

4. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

• Like x 1
  5. vletnguyen

vletnguyen Member

#5 vletnguyen, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    I used 3 coats of high temp paint (2000+ *F) as primer/base layer then 3 coats of the color I wanted (in this case, the same as you) then 3 coats of clear..

You can buy "TESLA" high temp vinyl stickers for cheap, I went with whole car debadged looked.

One can of each was plenty.

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  6. James88

James88 Member

Thanks so much! You guys are the best! I'm going to hunt for some paint at Lowe's and see if I can fine something that matches.

Also I'll reach out to G2 and see what they can do .

7. James88

James88 Member

What did you do to lift the car ? Looks like for G2 paint I have to have all 4 off the ground since the paint hardens quickly.

Any tips ?

8. vletnguyen

vletnguyen Member

I was being cheap and didn't want to buy another jack and so I did it one at a time (HUGE waste of time, do at least two at a time). You could buy more jacks or borrow someone's jack to lift all four up. You could also buy a few of those ridiculously expensive jack stand things ( The RennStand by Safe Jack ) , I would rather buy spend more and get the quick jack system If I'm going to spend that kind of money (Car Lift Systems - Portable Car Lifts - QuickJack) usually on sale at costco for $1000 or so.

Painting it on (G2) should be a lot faster than masking/taping off and then spray paint.

Honestly, I'd just borrow a few jacks if I had to do it again. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out..

9. Wvapoker

Wvapoker Member

What do the rear calipers look like?

10. KSilver2000

KSilver2000 Active Member

What is the fascination of wanting to make it look like the neon green/yellow that Porsche uses for their hybrid cars?

Anyways, as was pointed out, I would take them to get it powder coated. Much better in the long run in terms of durability.

• Like x 1
  11. James88

James88 Member

Still waiting on g2 paint to ship. I'm probably going to have to buy some Rennstands :/

12. Jomak

Jomak Member

How has it held up?

13. vletnguyen

vletnguyen Member

So far so good.. I'll look more when I swap out the winter tires.

14. James88

James88 Member

Love my set up. G2 DEFINITELY is the way to go.

Attached Files:

15. Jomak

Jomak Member

Is that lime green? Can you show a few more pics in the light please.

16. James88

James88 Member

Screenshot_20200303-190622.jpg
    This is the best one. Yes it's lime green.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  17. Burrito

Burrito Member

Nice lime green

• Love x 1