Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Calipers Locking Up During Overnight Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get it too predominantly after washing it in the driveway too. This was the first time I saw an error pop up though. And the fact that one of the parking brake pads is worn pretty bad and much more than the other side concerns me...

I think between the rain and moisture lately mixed in with it being cold here in the northeast and the fact that it was sitting all weekend before getting in it Monday evening equated to a hard stick.

Perhaps the driver's side parking pad was locked on the rotor for some time causing it to wear significantly. The rotor seems smooth/fine with no indication of an issue.

I get it too predominantly after washing it in the driveway too. This was the first time I saw an error pop up though. And the fact that one of the parking brake pads is worn pretty bad and much more than the other side concerns me...

I think between the rain and moisture lately mixed in with it being cold here in the northeast and the fact that it was sitting all weekend before getting in it Monday evening equated to a hard stick.

Perhaps the driver's side parking pad was locked on the rotor for some time causing it to wear significantly. The rotor seems smooth/fine with no indication of an issue.
It’s not going to stay locked or the tire won’t turn. If it’s locked and the tire not turning than definitely no wear on the pads.

I couldn’t find any reference to the TSB. But if I recall it was locking up totally.

my guess in your case - the caliper slides have corroded, so the caliper doesn’t fully release. That has caused the pad to wear on one side and trip the wear sensor.

In areas with salt, the caliper slides probably need a semi-regular cleaning.

edit - but just a guess w/o seeing it.

Today I was able to see the parking brake better in the light of day. I'm looking at it and it appeared like the small brake pad itself was just not there. Needless to say I found the small parking brake pad in the street at the skirt of my driveway. It was in one piece as if it were just pulled off and gravity took over falling off and carried into the street when I backed out the night prior.

The violet sticking of the parking brake and release of the parking brake I felt and heard the evening prior was more than just it sticking once again as it does all so often.

Sooo I don't have any faults or any indications of an issue on the instrument cluster (besides the prevalent TPMS system fault after switching out summer for winter wheels) which is an entirely different topic.

I hope one parking brake holds the MS secure until I can schedule and make it into the SC.

I feel like this is something that just should not happen with any make or model car though! Am I wrong to feel this way? Do I expect too much in a car and of Tesla? SMH to be honest here.