Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake disc specs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm in contact with www.eliseparts.com trying to source new brake discs. They are more then willing to help and are also looking to expand their site to show Roadster compatible parts and accessories.

They've asked me to give them diameter, thickness and ideally offset from hub bearing face (or centreline of the disc rotor) for my 2.5/2011. Does any of you have that info?

EBC USR1070 from the Saab 99-02 9-3 Turbo Viggen are the best replacement ones. They are 308mm in diameter so they require a 3/16 spacer under the caliper for the front (slight braking improvement), and are a bolt-on for the rear. They are much thicker and last forever.

The hub specs are also the same as the Vauxhall vx220, so all the rotors Elise parts sells for that model fit.

Stock sizes are 300mm front 310mm rear 26mm thick

Info here:
Roadster brake upgrade

I just replaced the seals for the sliding pins on rear Brembo calipers with replacements I got from Lotus Parts. Work like a charm. Also, installed EBC Yellow pads - Front and Rear which are spec'd for both Lotus Elise and Tesla Roadster. I used the yellows because they have excellent stopping power when cold. My brakes are almost always cold.

• Informative
Reactions: ICON and Rolf68
I got this email from EliseParts after having shared the Roadster Brake Upgrad link.

This is the reply:

We can easily make brakes for the Tesla, lighter and better too as we make them for the full Lotus range now.

All I need are Rotor O/D, rotor thickness, wheel PCD and disc offset and I can quote you price and lead time

Anyone got this?

I got this email from EliseParts after having shared the Roadster Brake Upgrad link.

This is the reply:

We can easily make brakes for the Tesla, lighter and better too as we make them for the full Lotus range now.

All I need are Rotor O/D, rotor thickness, wheel PCD and disc offset and I can quote you price and lead time

Anyone got this?

Just tell them to use the rotor hats from the VX220, and use the disc specs previously mentioned.

• Helpful
Reactions: ICON
Paging @titaniumdave ....

I have the upgrade Dave created, and highly recommend them over the stock brakes. See: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors, NEW batch for 2019

Except the EBC rotors are 1/4 the price, slightly improve braking with bigger rotors in front, and stock off the shelf items available almost anywhere. The improvement comes from the slots in the rotors (wet performance) and the upgraded pads, the few pounds less weight doesn't give any measurable improvement.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and ICON
Except the EBC rotors are 1/4 the price, slightly improve braking with bigger rotors in front, and stock off the shelf items available almost anywhere. The improvement comes from the slots in the rotors (wet performance) and the upgraded pads, the few pounds less weight doesn't give any measurable improvement.

I need to get this !

Do the EBCs rust? The huge improvement with the custom slotted rotors, at least for me, has been their lack of rust buildup. The slots help during the longer wet braking sessions; the lack of rust keeps my heart going during the first few seconds when dry after being wet.

• Informative
Reactions: smac
Do the EBCs rust? The huge improvement with the custom slotted rotors, at least for me, has been their lack of rust buildup. The slots help during the longer wet braking sessions; the lack of rust keeps my heart going during the first few seconds when dry after being wet.

The exposed wear surface will get minor surface rust if they get wet, but that goes away with one brake application. The slots are what keep the rust from contaminating the pads, which happens with the stock rotors. The rest of the rotor remains coated with their black "Geomet" rustproof coating.

Sorry I'm confused....so no they are not a straight swap or
no no modifications are needed?

The link posted shows 4 lug rotors, so those shown will not work (the size is also too small). Someone over in Europe had previously mentioned the Europa rotors would fit, but unless they had optional 5 lug rotors and were bigger in diameter, they will not.

The v6 exige
front 5x110
rear 5x114.3 or 4.5 inches.
tesla roadster 5x110

Wheels and tyres - Exige V6 - TechWiki

The V6 Exige rotors are 332mm x 32mm, so they will not work either.