Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Fade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ben W

Chess Grandmaster (Supervised)
Feb 27, 2009
Santa Barbara, CA
PSA to all Roadster owners who drive only occasionally: Keep your brakes conditioned!!

Today my 2008 Roadster #108 got into a mild fender-bender while driving in slow-and-go traffic on the freeway. I hadn't driven the car in several weeks, and hadn't given a second thought to the condition of the brakes. The car in front of me stopped abruptly, and I pressed my brakes. No grip! Slammed my brakes; lots of squealing, but it felt like the car was sliding on butter. I tapped the car in front of me at about 1mph, and the nose of my car wedged momentarily underneath theirs. (A BMW sedan.)

Miraculously, there was no noticeable damage to either car, other than some light scuffs on my paint protection film. (Glad I got the film; also glad the Roadster's nose is so low!) But this was such an easily avoidable situation. A few strong decelerations from 60mph to 20mph later to clean the discs, and the brakes felt as good as new.

Hoping someone else reads this post and avoids a similar incident!
Ben

Last edited:
Glad to hear no real damage...another reason to DRIVE the roadster weekly... :)

Tricky with a 1-year-old toddler; difficult to fit a rear-facing car seat in there :) But point taken!

Here's a photo of the consequences to the front of the car. Amazing that a highway impact only resulted in this! I don't think the paint underneath is affected; will replace the film today and find out.

RoadsterScuffs.jpg

Another thing that most Roadster owners know about the brakes but it takes the first time to realize it is when driving in heavy rain, stomp on the brakes occasionally as with regenerative braking and little use of the brakes, the pads and rotors can get really, really wet until the moment you really really need them. So actually I try to use the brakes more, not less, in heavy rain.

• Informative
Reactions: Ben W
Another thing that most Roadster owners know about the brakes but it takes the first time to realize it is when driving in heavy rain, stomp on the brakes occasionally as with regenerative braking and little use of the brakes, the pads and rotors can get really, really wet until the moment you really really need them. So actually I try to use the brakes more, not less, in heavy rain.

Wait, roadsters get driven in the rain? Guess I've learned from my wife's driving habits with her 'vette that NEVER gets taken out of the garage when wet weather is coming... :)

A good pad or should I say a different pad will work wonders. Either the EBC yellow/red (I have them and they work well) or bobcat 1521’s would be a good fit. The stock pad and rotor setup is poor in compatibility for some reason. Changing one or the other will help, changing both is as good as it gets but in the meantime I would swap those pads out to 1521’s and be a lot safer.