Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Fluid Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X is 4 years old / 41k miles. I scheduled a service appointment to change the brake fluid, got the notification from the service center that they "tested" the brake fluid and determined that it doesn't need changing, which I find crazy considering the age / mileage plus I live in Florida with high humidity.

The whole service experience is so frustrating, not being able to talk to a human, everything done via the chat function in the app.

How often are you all changing your brake fluid?

Brake fluid can be tested. They can be tested for water content and contaminants. So it's not that crazy really. You have pretty low miles. Brake systems are sealed, so unless you have been opening the reservoir cap often or have a leak in the system, it's not that crazy to think it's fine.

Did you try to insist on getting it changed any way?

Reactions: RaymondNoodles
Usually brake fluid changes are very couple of years. Especially in high humidity areas.

Brake fluid change was on the service estimate they submitted to me (which I approved). I have tried to message them in the app (no response), and call customer service (nobody ever picks up). Love Tesla vehicles, hate them as an organization when trying to communicate with them.

Reactions: m5james
Usually brake fluid changes are very couple of years. Especially in high humidity areas.

Brake fluid change was on the service estimate they submitted to me (which I approved). I have tried to message them in the app (no response), and call customer service (nobody ever picks up). Love Tesla vehicles, hate them as an organization when trying to communicate with them.
The test they did was for water in the fluid. We do it in our family shop. We charge for the brake fluid test and replacement separate if it is a specific customer request. However, it is one price on general maintenance inspections since it is a packaged price which is discounted.

The test they did was for water in the fluid. We do it in our family shop. We charge for the brake fluid test and replacement separate if it is a specific customer request. However, it is one price on general maintenance inspections since it is a packaged price which is discounted.
I want, and agreed to pay for a brake fluid change. I requested one, they estimated for the work, I approved the estimate. They determined that I don't need one, I can't even get hold of anyone either via app of phone to say - please do it anyway.

I want, and agreed to pay for a brake fluid change. I requested one, they estimated for the work, I approved the estimate. They determined that I don't need one, I can't even get hold of anyone either via app of phone to say - please do it anyway.
I see. I assume they will not charge you then. But, if you want it done, they should do it. Did you add a comment via the app asking them to do it anyway?

My X is 4 years old / 41k miles. I scheduled a service appointment to change the brake fluid, got the notification from the service center that they "tested" the brake fluid and determined that it doesn't need changing, which I find crazy considering the age / mileage plus I live in Florida with high humidity.
I think this is their standard practice. My S is 5 years old, I have tested mine after 2 years and is at 10/ppm level. The test strip says replace at 200-300 level. I took it to SC after 3-4 years request changes and they said the test ok, no need to change. I just test it again a moment ago and it is still at 10/ppm level, so I am not too worry about it. I am in Texas dry weather. You can call the support number and I think there is an option buried to speak to the local SC. If you worry, find a local shop to replace it.

Reactions: brainhouston
I am going in for the same thing. My X has a brake pedal that seems to have a lot of travel. 2017 model.

In terms of Tesla service, its horrible. It has gone down hill for me over the years. Currently own 3 Tesla’s and cars are great but talking to anyone there is like dealing with folks that did you a favor by letting you buy their car.

i know its not the best advice but i've never changed brake fluid on ICE cars unless i feel something wrong with brakes/pedal...
brake fluid is designed to absorb moisture. many ppl never change it or worry about it.

since your pedal has lots of travel u might have bubbles in the system or leak or something else so fluid change n purge would makes sense
maybe make appt for soft brake pedal or something like that...

Reactions: bnsfengineer
i know its not the best advice but i've never changed brake fluid on ICE cars unless i feel something wrong with brakes/pedal...
brake fluid is designed to absorb moisture. many ppl never change it or worry about it.

since your pedal has lots of travel u might have bubbles in the system or leak or something else so fluid change n purge would makes sense
maybe make appt for soft brake pedal or something like that...

I would change fluid every few years, it's inexpensive and a critical part of the braking system. It'll "probably work". But, when you want to stop a heavy projectile. Are you okay with "probably" stopping?

Brake fluid is not designed to absorb moisture. All except a few variations of brake fluid will absorb water, when this water evaporates it turns into air bubbles. Air bubbles in hydraulic lines do not mix.

I would change fluid every few years, it's inexpensive and a critical part of the braking system. It'll "probably work". But, when you want to stop a heavy projectile. Are you okay with "probably" stopping?

Brake fluid is not designed to absorb moisture. All except a few variations of brake fluid will absorb water, when this water evaporates it turns into air bubbles. Air bubbles in hydraulic lines do not mix.
agree, thats why i said "its not the best advice"
but like others said, if it tests fine, no need to change. its not like oil that gets contaminated by metal particles n carbon...
and when u get bubbles you'll feel it as "soft pedal" n can resolve the issue then
also i've never heard or seen a car not able to stop due to old fluid :)

but like others said, if it tests fine, no need to change. its not like oil that gets contaminated by metal particles n carbon...
and when u get bubbles you'll feel it as "soft pedal" n can resolve the issue then

It's bad and incorrect advice.

The issue with brake fluid is it is hygroscopic and absorbs water from the air. So, you can end up with a water/ brake fluid mix. But the water has much lower boiling point (100C) than brake fluid (200C) so can turn to vapor under braking and result in extended braking distances or worse. Also, water can rust brake components. See this article for info.

Reactions: brainhouston