Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Lights on Infotainment Screen not Showing anymore when Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. It flickers on and off intermittantly. Here I am stopped at a red light and it is NOT showing brakes are on, even though they are and I am in HOLD. (The Faint yellow circle is me circling where it should be a red line showing the brakes are on). Wondering if I should submit this to Tesla Service through the app? Maybe if more people complain about it they will fix it.

Also, even when it's on, it's very difficult to tell. I'd much prefer a Red circle to appear at the top, or the word BRAKE to appear or something. There is certainly enough room along the top for that. I am on software version 2023.2.10 and it started happening 3 or 4 software updates ago. Before that it worked as it should.

Attachments

• No-brake!.jpg
    No-brake!.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: Tsl007007
Just bought our second Tesla - '21 MY LR, and updated yesterday to 2023.12.5.4 after being at 12.5.3 for the first week of ownership.

First thing I noticed when I drove the car after delivery was this brake light avatar thing. I've not tested the auto vs. daytime on headlight feature, but it did concern me given our '15 MS is always on and very clear. I'd say that it's a known issue at Tesla, just not high on their priority list. Hopefully 12.9 resolves it as like with others here, it's a bit unnerving wondering if your brake lights are on or not when stopped in hold and particularly with the brake pedal depressed (I rarely use the pedal).

I subscribed to FSD this week and got 2023.12.10. The brake light on the avatar is still not working when the headlights are off in this version. What's funny is with FSD, you can see the brake lights come on in the other cars in front of you in the realization. So I guess this brake light thing might never work again in daylight.

Mine seem to work fine on 2023.12.9 with the exception for the way the taillights and turn signals do not depict the actual configuration of my 2023 Y. By that I mean the graphic shows the taillight functionality of the first Model Y taillights (where turn signal and brake lights share the same leds). Since the summer of 2020 the outer led illuminates for the brakes while the inner horizontal element is exclusively amber for the turn signals. It’s a minor thing and the only reason I even bring it up is that it would be much easier to see the brake lights illuminate on screen if the graphic accurately reflected the way the lights actually functioned. I had a 2022 Model S and when I originally bought it it showed the old Model S taillights in the graphic although it had the updated Model S lights in reality which now separate the two functions. About 7 months into ownership I noticed the graphic was updated to reflect my actual vehicle’s configuration so I hope eventually the Y will get a similar (admittedly minor) update.

Just an update: My brake light is still intermittant on the screen, Model Y software version 2023.20.9. I scheduled Tesla Service and let them know and they asked me to bring in the car....they said they have to check the "circuit" and possibly replace the rear glass!