Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes freeze up when parked. Previous cars didn't do this.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure, but I would imagine most (all??) of us have experienced this stickiness. If I wash my car then just drive it into the garage and leave it overnight this ALWAYS happens. Maybe not to the extent that yours was stuck, but still... It is quite obvious when the wheels break loose since they do so with a snap. I have not been concerned about this though.

The sticking happens to me everytime I wash the car and then just let it sit or when coming in from the rain. As stated by everyone above it is not a big deal and it sounds like odpadoc experienced one side breaking free before the other. With an open diff like the ones we have on the MS the one rear tire applied more torque which caused the shimmy to one side (my best guess).

As to the comments about this not happening to a 100k car or any car my experience has been the same on ALL vehicles that I have owned. Every single one has done the exact same thing. My Mitsubishi Evo was the worst and would at times drag one tire until it finally let loose.

NOTE: Every car that I have owned over the last 10 years has had aggressive performance oriented brakes on them BTW.

I experienced this last week with the snow/ice that hit us last Thursday. Parked the car, walked the kids into school, came out to drive away, then "clack!" the rear wheels broke free.

One major difference though, we got three warnings after driving about 100' about traction control, ABS, and regen being disabled!

I wasn't sure what was causing it, so I stomped on the accelerator pedal and gave the tires a quick spin on the ice. Immediately, everything cleared up.
My only guess as to why that fixed it was possibly ice on the ABS sensors? I wonder how long the MS keeps logs of this stuff so I can call and see what happened.

Yeah, I traveled for 4 days and when I then moved the car first time the day after it made a loud cracking noise as the brakes broke free. My dogs and wife jumped on the noise, but I already was prepared that this was normal. Hasn't happened much, but I do drive daily. This was the single longest stay the car had in row.

Heh, the exact same thing (but the opposite end of the car) happened to me many years ago with my Renault Megane. I had to drive back and forth in my garage with both the rear wheels frozen and dragging on the garage floor. :)

Nice video!

I get the brake sticking from time to time as well. Here in the winter, it's impossible not to park the car "wet", but having said that, I've never experienced anything like it before... even on cars with performance brakes.

It was parked for 2 weeks recently while I was away, and it took nearly 40 kW of power to "snap" the car free and shoot backwards out of my garage.

I've had brakes freeze up on me like this after a wash where it gets down below freezing outside, but not inside my garage. Basically, the brakes are very sensitive to being left wet in park. This has been my experience even in above freezing temps. My brakes are pretty noisy too, more than usual (as noted on my service log from Tesla) so maybe that has something to do with it. Seems to happen mostly when brakes go from wet to cold (with no airflow) because parked in an enclosed space.

This has happened on every single one of my cars. Performance brakes on a manual (so always using the handbrake, not just putting in park). When wet brake really hard before pulling into garage, helps dry things out, but won't eliminate the issue.

Got today the famous Tesla preventive service call :D So today I suddenly got a call from Tesla Copenhagen Service that they had heard that I had had an issue with my parking break locking after 4 days of standing and if everything was fine or they could do something.

I laughed and mentioned that I had only mentioned it on TMC and that all was fine as I considered it normal for high performance cars and have experienced it before with my evo x too. He laughed and confirmed indeed that it does happen if the car isd riven and then with warm breaks left to stand a day or more with parking break engaged and as long as all was fine with no odd noise or anything else afterwards, then I'm good. Thanked him for superb service and promised to lett hem know the moment there's anything they can do to help. Truly hard to believe such service truly exists :)

Loud thump early mornings

I have had my Model S 60 since May and I love it. I live in the NYC area. Since the weather got cold, the car has made a loud noise when I first back out of my garage early in the morning. It feels like something is stuck that comes loose. It does not happen again during the rest of the day. The Tesla service people tell me that it has to do with the brakes and the cold weather. They say there is nothing to worry about, but it is very disconcerting. I wonder if others have had the same issue and what can be done about it.

I have had my Model S 60 since May and I love it. I live in the NYC area. Since the weather got cold, the car has made a loud noise when I first back out of my garage early in the morning. It feels like something is stuck that comes loose. It does not happen again during the rest of the day. The Tesla service people tell me that it has to do with the brakes and the cold weather. They say there is nothing to worry about, but it is very disconcerting. I wonder if others have had the same issue and what can be done about it.

See up-thread. Happens during wet/cold weather.

Mod Note: threads merged.