Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes stick when switching to reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happens on my Mercedes’ too… don’t think this is an issue.

Happens after I wash the car or park the car a long time after it rains. Have it pop up when you move the car initially and everything is fine after.

Unless you see any damage to your pads, there isn’t anything to worry about.

Honest question: how often does this really happen for you? As others have repeatedly stated, this is not a defect or real problem. Iron rusts, almost “instantly” in the case of rotors. Usually the worst after a car wash. Normal rain driving and then next day start will also produce the clunk as you overcome the sticking pad-to-rotor condition.
If this happens daily, then you may have an issue with the pad guide pins/sliders getting stuck or not being lubricated.
If there’ll be a break in the rain here soon, I’ll wash the car and post pics of the rotors and maybe even a quick vid upon first drive after to show you it’s a naturally occurring thing. That’s why I pull the car into the street and then put it into the garage - minimizes the water on the rotor and pads as they dry.
We drive like 5000 miles a year. My wife drives my car most the time now. Its more than a clunk its like a really load Bang! The car jumps a foot or so every now and then. We live in a dry climate and I dry the brakes after washing.. A couple tesla reps say they are aware of the problem and wont elaborate! Really Crazy.....

Happens on my Mercedes’ too… don’t think this is an issue.

Happens after I wash the car or park the car a long time after it rains. Have it pop up when you move the car initially and everything is fine after.

Unless you see any damage to your pads, there isn’t anything to worry about.
I understand the brake issue you are speaking of. Why would the Tesla reps say they are aware of a problem and not elaborate? My wife is scared to drive it now but at the sametime she loves every thing Tesla stands for, Really nuts. Worst part is she wont let me drive it much.lol

Perhaps the pads and slider pins just need a good cleaning and grease applied? Or, if you still have sep parking brakes in the rear, they, too, need to be inspected for sticking.
A loud bang is certainly not normal. Everything you described before this is what made everyone say it’s normal rust after rain or a car wash. Certainly not a loud bang.
Here’s a pic of my rotor 20mins after a car wash even after driving around the block before parking it. If you don’t have anything like this when the loud bang happens, then my bet is a sticking caliper and/or pads.
7F5CC58D-BB03-4C6C-ABB7-8DD56DC062B9.jpeg

Perhaps the pads and slider pins just need a good cleaning and grease applied? Or, if you still have sep parking brakes in the rear, they, too, need to be inspected for sticking.
A loud bang is certainly not normal. Everything you described before this is what made everyone say it’s normal rust after rain or a car wash. Certainly not a loud bang.
Here’s a pic of my rotor 20mins after a car wash even after driving around the block before parking it. If you don’t have anything like this when the loud bang happens, then my bet is a sticking caliper and/or pads.
View attachment 764702
I agree that cleaning and lubing the moving brake parts should be the first thing to try. 3 Winters ago I experienced my brakes sticking or freezing in my car and would feel and hear a loud clunk when I pushed accelerator enough to free them. That was the first time I cleaned and lubed my brake hardware and it completely got rid of the sticking brakes (along with using the brakes moderately every time I wash it or drive in the rain). Now I do the brake clean and lube every year like Tesla recommends for people who live in areas that get snow.

If that doesn't work, it's possible that something else is sticking abnormally, like the pistons in the caliper or the parking brake mechanism.

So answer this, the Y never does the sticking brakes thing, maybe a really small one from time to time. Both the S and the Y are garaged side by side. It is winter now so basically every single day when arriving they are wet, salty and disgustingly dirty most of the time, both of them. Why does the Y not get stuck parking brakes whereas the S all the time?

I'll tell you why, as soon as you select reverse or drive with the stalk, the Y disengages the rear mechanical parking brake so it is released BEFORE you press the accelerator whereas the S releases the parking brake when you press the accelerator AFTER selecting reverse or drive. At least this is how it seems to work. Pretty sure the automatic gear selection thing kinda screwed that up. There must be a firmware solution such as a time delay to correct the issue.

So answer this, the Y never does the sticking brakes thing, maybe a really small one from time to time. Both the S and the Y are garaged side by side. It is winter now so basically every single day when arriving they are wet, salty and disgustingly dirty most of the time, both of them. Why does the Y not get stuck parking brakes whereas the S all the time?

I'll tell you why, as soon as you select reverse or drive with the stalk, the Y disengages the rear mechanical parking brake so it is released BEFORE you press the accelerator whereas the S releases the parking brake when you press the accelerator AFTER selecting reverse or drive. At least this is how it seems to work. Pretty sure the automatic gear selection thing kinda screwed that up. There must be a firmware solution such as a time delay to correct the issue.

I have a 2016 S with the old gear selector (stalk on the steering column) and my car does the sticking brakes too. Almost always in the winter when it's been wet last time I was out.

View attachment 764702
2 weeks out of the shop and no issues. Not sure what they did at the out of town Tesla Dealer but this is the first 2 weeks in over 3 years without a big Bang! So far it`s a Win Win, It`s about time. I will give an update in 30days or so. Thanks for the input very helpful!

Reactions: Doanster1
2 weeks out of the shop and no issues. Not sure what they did at the out of town Tesla Dealer but this is the first 2 weeks in over 3 years without a big Bang! So far it`s a Win Win, It`s about time. I will give an update in 30days or so. Thanks for the input very helpful!
Good to hear. Did they not send you the invoice describing what they did? Inquiring minds want to know!!

My bang went away after the brake pads were serviced. Pads sticking in corroded guides is common because Tesla brakes are not heating up due to Regen. Another factor may be that I don't try to move the car instantly like it's an ice car. Feathering the go pedal has become a habit.

Reactions: jslewis58
Fixed, Tesla picked up or S and shipped it to another dealership in the Los Angeles area. They kept the car for the week and the cars locking brake problem has been solved. They would not elaborate on the issue but it is apparent it was our local Santa Barbara Teslas dealers issue. They just refused to address it. They apparently had a resentment and chose to not work on our car. Scary to comprehend but the drama seems to have ended. Car runs perfect and shows know side effect from this ongoing drama. Car runs perfect........Cheers!

Reactions: wdolson
Fixed, Tesla picked up or S and shipped it to another dealership in the Los Angeles area. They kept the car for the week and the cars locking brake problem has been solved. They would not elaborate on the issue but it is apparent it was our local Santa Barbara Teslas dealers issue. They just refused to address it. They apparently had a resentment and chose to not work on our car. Scary to comprehend but the drama seems to have ended. Car runs perfect and shows know side effect from this ongoing drama. Car runs perfect........Cheers!
Good to hear, but how can they not elaborate? What does your invoice say??

The ‘ole “pat on the head” fix?

Yes sir, we sure fixed it. Lubricated the calipers and cleaned the brakes… so long as you stop putting the car away wet the brakes won’t stick any more!

Fixed 👍🏻
Yah, wait a second. I just scrolled up. OP gave this update back in Feb and I asked the same thing about what the fix was. No reply until now with just the same explanation that problem was mysteriously solved by another service center.
We need more info/clarification @jslewis58 else something doesn’t smell right.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Thats an interesting question not sure how to answer. For some reason the service centers are very vague when it comes to repairs. Its like when we took our is S back when we first bought it because the front end suspension was loose with metal too metal sounds. We went back 6 times over the first years with them saying no issue. Then finally there was a national recall on the front end because a problem in the production for a short time. Turns out the our suspension had a batch of defective parts, they fixed it and its been great. Tell you the truth I really dont care we will just take our car 100 mile down the road to the repair center in Agura Hills, really solid. Ours is a 2018, built at the end of a quarter. I dont think the quality control was up to par then. Nor did or do the techs in Santa Barbara have the skills or experience deal with it. They seem preaty frustrated all the time. Anyway, this is a newer company thats the way it goes, we love our S. It took us to Yosemite last week really a joy on the road. Best car in the world!

I have a 2016 S with the old gear selector (stalk on the steering column) and my car does the sticking brakes too. Almost always in the winter when it's been wet last time I was out.
The ‘ole “pat on the head” fix?

Yes sir, we sure fixed it. Lubricated the calipers and cleaned the brakes… so long as you stop putting the car away wet the brakes won’t stick any more!

Fixed 👍🏻
LOL!

How can they take a car in, perform some work, and not have it documented, especially if the second SC retrieved your car from the first center? No appt or msgs via the app?
Even if things are perfect for you now, I’d sure as heck want to have a paper trail.
We reported the issue`s for years and when we went back to review we were saddened to see that the service writer was erasing items or complaints off our work orders after we left! dozens of work orders altered....What do you do with that Take Tesla to court. Really sick stuff!

Last edited: