Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new model S plaid in shop within 24 hours of delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a new model S top of the line. It was supposed to be delivered in June. I got a delivery date but said I was out of town for a few days. They said no problem, then when I got back they had sold the car out from under me. Now it is 3 months later. Finally got my car delivered. They took away my old model S. The guy who delivered it didn't know a lot of details about the function of the car. The car seemed real stiff and rather difficult to steer. The guy said this was normal. Not on my old model S it wasn't but I assumed this was a new feature. Then when I got up the next day there were multiple error messages ( stability control disabled, adaptive ride control degraded, traction control disabled). I called Tesla they suggested resetting the car. The resets he suggested didn't work. He said do not drive it, other than to immediately take it to Tesla service, without an appointment, as it is unsafe to drive. I brought it to service, and now it will be a week or more to fix. No loaner vehicles available. Now I am stuck without a car, and car rentals in LA now are really hard to find ( had to go to 4 car rental places). Any suggestions other than to wait. There is nothing good about this.

Nope. Nothing you can do other than pray you don’t need anything serious.

This is Tesla QC and Service for you. New car broken, no loaner. But they have your $130K, so they are done with you.

Welcome to the club.

Since you are a new owner and are already experiencing issues, MAKE SURE you OPT OUT of the BINDING ARBITRATION CLAUSE within 30 days of accepting delivery. This puts you in a much better position to negotiate with Tesla should the vehicle have substantial issues.

Last edited:
Purchased a new model S top of the line. It was supposed to be delivered in June. I got a delivery date but said I was out of town for a few days. They said no problem, then when I got back they had sold the car out from under me. Now it is 3 months later. Finally got my car delivered. They took away my old model S. The guy who delivered it didn't know a lot of details about the function of the car. The car seemed real stiff and rather difficult to steer. The guy said this was normal. Not on my old model S it wasn't but I assumed this was a new feature. Then when I got up the next day there were multiple error messages ( stability control disabled, adaptive ride control degraded, traction control disabled). I called Tesla they suggested resetting the car. The resets he suggested didn't work. He said do not drive it, other than to immediately take it to Tesla service, without an appointment, as it is unsafe to drive. I brought it to service, and now it will be a week or more to fix. No loaner vehicles available. Now I am stuck without a car, and car rentals in LA now are really hard to find ( had to go to 4 car rental places). Any suggestions other than to wait. There is nothing good about this.
Sounds similar to my Plaid. Mine would be OK on one drive and full of faults on another. I also had no brake hold, no regen, and what you mentioned The desk guys claimed wheel sensor and they might have been right. That part of my car now works. (as you thought.. about 10 days~ 2 weeks) The wait was for the part arriving. But now I have an intermittent front camera failure that kills autopilot, cruise, and related accessories.
Disheartening. I know how you feel.

This is Tesla QC and Service for you. New car broken, no loaner. But they have your $130K, so they are done with you.

Welcome to the club.

Since you are a new owner and are already experiencing issues, MAKE SURE you OPT OUT of the BINDING ARBITRATION CLAUSE within 30 days of accepting delivery. This puts you in a much better position to negotiate with Tesla should the vehicle have substantial issues.
How does one opt-out of this clause?

They may still have a 7-day return / cancellation policy? Could inquire about that if you don't want to keep the car.

With regards to the steering, assuming there's a setting in the menu's that allows you to adjust the steering stiffness. It exists in the prior Model S, so assuming it's there in the new one. Just something to check, if you weren't aware of that feature.

Best of luck to you, hope it all gets resolved in a satisfactory manner.

Sadly, things like this are becoming too frequent. This, along with the changes made to the Model S (yoke, screen shifter, tiny blinker and horn buttons and the yoke, yes, I included it twice) are the reasons my current Tesla will be my last after 9 straight years in several Tesla's. Will miss the good things Tesla has to offer, which are many, but won't miss the downside items. After 9 years of looking at basically the same car, am also just ready to try something different again. I keep hoping some revelation will come along to change my mind and get me to reconsider and stay with Tesla, but unfortunately, all of the new revelations just push me further out the door.

They may still have a 7-day return / cancellation policy? Could inquire about that if you don't want to keep the car.

With regards to the steering, assuming there's a setting in the menu's that allows you to adjust the steering stiffness. It exists in the prior Model S, so assuming it's there in the new one. Just something to check, if you weren't aware of that feature.

Best of luck to you, hope it all gets resolved in a satisfactory manner.

Sadly, things like this are becoming too frequent. This, along with the changes made to the Model S (yoke, screen shifter, tiny blinker and horn buttons and the yoke, yes, I included it twice) are the reasons my current Tesla will be my last after 9 straight years in several Tesla's. Will miss the good things Tesla has to offer, which are many, but won't miss the downside items. After 9 years of looking at basically the same car, am also just ready to try something different again. I keep hoping some revelation will come along to change my mind and get me to reconsider and stay with Tesla, but unfortunately, all of the new revelations just push me further out the door.
unfortunately they got rid of that policy. Here's Everything You Need To Know About Tesla's Return Policy In 2021

Welcome to the club.

Can you explain this and how to do it? Months of looking at videos and post about these cars I haven’t seen anyone mention this.

Can you explain this and how to do it? Months of looking at videos and post about these cars I haven’t seen anyone mention this.
Read your MVPA. There is an address you must send a letter to in order to opt out. That is the only way to do it.

People don’t mention it because they expect Tesla to always do the right thing. Tesla will always do the right thing FOR THEM. Not for YOU. Opting out of the arbitration clause puts you in a better position, legally, should Tesla decide their interests do not align with yours.

Binding arbitration clauses, by nature, are for the benefit of Tesla and are anti-consumer.

Read your MVPA. There is an address you must send a letter to in order to opt out. That is the only way to do it.

People don’t mention it because they expect Tesla to always do the right thing. Tesla will always do the right thing FOR THEM. Not for YOU. Opting out of the arbitration clause puts you in a better position, legally, should Tesla decide their interests do not align with yours.

Binding arbitration clauses, by nature, are for the benefit of Tesla and are anti-consumer.
Thank you!! These post scare the stuff out of me. I understand anything that’s mass produced can have issues I just want them to stand by there product but I’m keeping my ice just in case.

Tesla…. You can do better.
They can, but they don't need to, as long as people line up to give you money for the cars. Worse, if they do better and it costs more (in service or pre-sale QA, delays in releasing new cars if you have to wait for them to actually drive in live snow before selling, etc), the company makes less profit or loses money, so stock tanks. Giving everyone with a problem car a loner costs money you know, that loaner car could be sold to contribute to the bottom line. So, financially, it might not make sense for Tesla to do better right now.

It's really hard to find any new car with a certain amount of problems. I have a Plaid and have exterior issues. The BIG BIG problem with Tesla is the Service Dept. Now on my second Tesla, I "love the brand" but I can't seem to find their S.D.

Reactions: TessP100D