Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

brand new X - won't charge - shows "Charging Equipment Communication Error"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just took delivery of a new model x today. We also have a model 3; we've had this for nearly a year. At home, we have the ChargePoint Home Flex.

When I plug in the Model X to charge, I keep getting a Charging Equipment Communication error. When I plug the same charger into the 3 it starts charging.

Any ideas what's going on? Thanks

The model X is probably defective. Try it at an L2 charging station(chargepoint, evgo, whatever) and it'll probably fail the same way.

I assume the chargepoint flex can't be limited to a single VIN number or anything....

THanks for the reply.

My Chargepoint Flex has charged other EVs so I don't think single VIN is an issue.

Last night I took the X to a Supercharger and it charged. I'll try other L2 charging stations to see if it's an with the X.

Reactions: Anthony R.
THanks for the reply.

My Chargepoint Flex has charged other EVs so I don't think single VIN is an issue.

Last night I took the X to a Supercharger and it charged. I'll try other L2 charging stations to see if it's an with the X.
Ya, the supercharging bypasses much of the charging circuitry inside the vehicle. Its strange though, I'd think it would still use the same 'communication' circuitry.

The model X is probably defective. Try it at an L2 charging station(chargepoint, evgo, whatever) and it'll probably fail the same way.

I assume the chargepoint flex can't be limited to a single VIN number or anything....

This morning I went around my town and tried 3 Chargepoints (one near a doughnut shop, one near City Hall, and one near the local High School) and a non-Chargepoint (Webasto?). The Webasto and the High School Chargepoint both worked. The other 2 Chargepoints all showed the same error: Charging Equipment Communication error.

This morning I went around my town and tried 3 Chargepoints (one near a doughnut shop, one near City Hall, and one near the local High School) and a non-Chargepoint (Webasto?). The Webasto and the High School Chargepoint both worked. The other 2 Chargepoints all showed the same error: Charging Equipment Communication error.
That's super odd. I can't really help further.

I just took delivery of my MXLR this week and I’m getting the same error at my work charger…..all the other teslas at work charge just fine….maybe a bad on board charger with the latest batches of Xs?? The weird thing is it charges everywhere else just fine I’m concerned there is an underlying issue and not being to charge at work (I had a model s that I charged at work for two years with no issues) is unacceptable….I have a service appointment in a few days…good luck and let us know what they say

I just took delivery of my MXLR this week and I’m getting the same error at my work charger…..all the other teslas at work charge just fine….maybe a bad on board charger with the latest batches of X or Teslas in general. The weird thing is it charges everywhere else just fine I’m concerned there is an underlying issue and not being to charge at work (I had a model s that I charged at work for two years with no issues) is unacceptable….I have a service appointment in a few days…good luck and let us know what they say

Hey everyone,
Well I assume it is good that there is more than one of us with the issue.
Ours is a model S so it may not be X specific.
Recap of our issues
Brand new Model S, picked it up two days ago.
We have two different ChargePoint Flex units at two different houses with the same error. Both charges worked fine with our other non tesla vehicles
Only using the Tesla converter that comes with the car. I ordered a off brand one from Amazon to see if that changes anything. Will see
Commercial ChargePoint charger with the same Tesla adaptor at local restaurant charges it fine
Local Supercharger station works without issue
I tried to call support but amazing Tesla does not have 24x7 support.

I wonder if it is just a software update / bug issue that the newer cars have?

I don't think it's the car, I think it's the Charger Point charger.

I would start by checking with Charge Point and have the software/firmware version of the charger at hand. I would suspect you are a few firmware versions out and an update might fix your problem.

Good luck and keep us posted.

UPDATE

Took my model x to service and they insisted that the onboard charger was fine and that it was an issue with my at work chargers. After pleading with them and showing them video of other teslas at work using the chargers they relented and swaped out the ECU…..problem fixed
Interesting

I just got the X back from tesla after a few futile days of them investigating.

They just said it's the chargepoint issue. I'm going to share this thread and point out the a another recent X had the ecu fixed

Interesting

They just said it's the chargepoint issue. I'm
Interesting

They just said it's the chargepoint issue. I'm going to share this thread and point out the a another recent X had the ecu fixed
If you have a friend with another Tesla take a video of them charging at the charger……then take a video of you trying to use the same charger…..that’s pretty convincing to me….

If you have a friend with another Tesla take a video of them charging at the charger……then take a video of you trying to use the same charger…..that’s pretty convincing to me….

Well, in my service messages, my wife kept posting that our Model 3 worked w/ the same charger. You would think that would convince this Tesla service location. But nope, they just kept insisting it's our ChargePoint issue.

If it takes a video to prove, then I'll do that.

UPDATE

Took my model x to service and they insisted that the onboard charger was fine and that it was an issue with my at work chargers. After pleading with them and showing them video of other teslas at work using the chargers they relented and swaped out the ECU…..problem fixed
Which part of California are you in? If close to me, I may take it to the same service center. The one I took it too just gave me the run around

Hey everyone,
Well I assume it is good that there is more than one of us with the issue.
Ours is a model S so it may not be X specific.
Recap of our issues
Brand new Model S, picked it up two days ago.
We have two different ChargePoint Flex units at two different houses with the same error. Both charges worked fine with our other non tesla vehicles
Only using the Tesla converter that comes with the car. I ordered a off brand one from Amazon to see if that changes anything. Will see
Commercial ChargePoint charger with the same Tesla adaptor at local restaurant charges it fine
Local Supercharger station works without issue
I tried to call support but amazing Tesla does not have 24x7 support.

I wonder if it is just a software update / bug issue that the newer cars have?