Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brexit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GL-PIE-CHART-brexit-v2.jpg

More voters want to quit the EU now than at the time of Brexit referendum

Reactions: AidenL and DrJohnM
It’s a Murdoch Rag... Johnson is their monkey ... Polls over the last year have shown a consistent majority for Remain... although in my opinion, being popular is one thing and being correct is another... it all comes down to political leadership and control of the media....

It is a yougov poll. It is irrelevant who publishes it.

And before you call yougov a bastion of right wing reaction a recent poll by yougov shows Lib Dems would win a general election if held today.

Yahoo is now part of Oath

For a laugh ... this is Mini Trump speaking on Monday... imagine responding like this in a real world Job interview... but for some reason he gets away with it... I did try to use the Murdoch owned Sky News link but for some reason it said “not found” hmmmm....

Gizmodo speculates that this is actually a reputation management strategy, designed to bury the Brexit bus in Google results: https://gizmodo.com/did-boris-johnson-ramble-about-model-buses-to-manipulat-1835903361

Hunt has recruited ex Canadian PM to lead negotiations with EU - looking for Canada style deal. I'm 98% certain Boris will get the job. Boris is giving away money every time he talks. No deal still unlikely but becoming as likely as any other possibility. Office talking cricket - see what | have to put up with...

My update (agnostic on elections, timelines, referendums, leadership contests):
No deal - 25%
Hard Brexit (Canada or similar) - 20%
Theresa May deal with alterations - 35%
Norway/Soft Brexit - 5%
Remain following referendum - 15%

Boris hasn't embarrassed himself too much. Will be in office in less than a week. He is doubling down on leaving 31st Oct plus threatening no deal. EU holding the line.

My update (agnostic on elections, timelines, referendums, leadership contests):
No deal - 35%
Hard Brexit (Canada or similar) - 15%
Theresa May deal with alterations - 30%
Norway/Soft Brexit - 5%
Remain following referendum - 15%

Given that the British were acting under EU sanctions, Johnson could lobby the EU to show unity and state to Iran they stand together... that would be much stronger diplomatically... oh but wait, Johnson is arguing we don’t need the EU...
What exactly does "much stronger diplomatically" lead to ? Another mid-east war ? No thanks.

Simply means working together as a bloc and sharing the message with France Germany etc would have a stronger voice... diiplomacy is not war... although it is said that war is diplomacy carried o; by other means...
Anyway weak leadership with pretensions to grandeur is going to get the U.K. government into big trouble.

Apparently the seizure of the Iranian Oil Tanker, although ostensibly under EU sanctions was inveigled by John Bolton... this was the first seizure of oil to Syria in the last 10 years

Now Pompeo is on Fox basically abandoning the British by saying the US Military will not help...
This is the hypocrisy and cynicism of the current US administration... and the British are shown to be weak fools, wanting to keep the right side of the shiftless Trump

The breakdown of Western Unity under Trump is historic and tragic and the Brexit British are totally exposed... whether in Foreign Policy or Trade...

OT

Ms Weyand doesn't have the best record recently, having failed to strike a mutually agreeable and deliverable trade and exit deal with the UK during the Brexit talks. Hopefully she's learnt some lessons. Perhaps

EU politicians are not required to have super human powers. I don't hold not reaching an EU-UK agreement against her.

Ms Weyand doesn't have the best record recently, having failed to strike a mutually agreeable and deliverable trade and exit deal with the UK during the Brexit talks. Hopefully she's learnt some lessons.
Well, I guess even a Uk cabinet member in place of Ms Weyand wouldn't have been able to reach a deal with UK;)

Last edited:
OT

EU politicians are not required to have super human powers. I don't hold not reaching an EU-UK agreement against her.
I hope you are right but I fear your confidence in her and her team might be misplaced. If so, this has direct relevance to Tesla stockholders. Weyand (and others) were happy to further politicize the Brexit talks "pour encourager les autres" that may consider also dropping out the EU in the future, as opposed to a good faith negotiation with a military ally and major economic partner. In short, to ensure there was economic pain for the UK in leaving the political project, whether this was necessary or not.

“We should be in the best negotiating position for the future relationship. This requires the customs union as the basis of the future relationship. They must align their rules but the EU will retain all the controls. They apply the same rules. The UK wants a lot more from the future relationship, so the EU retains its leverage.”​

Whatever your view on the rights and wrongs of Brexit and the negotiating stances of both sides (and there is merit to the Commission’s stance if you support its goal of integration, expansion and federalism), the world and Tesla stockholders are in for a shock if Weyand and her colleagues adopt a similar negotiating stance in trade talks with Trump's White House, rather than making a genuine effort to reduce trade barriers for mutual beneficial interest.

Noting the personalities on both sides of the negotiation, my personal base case remains a period of US punishment tariffs on European autos with counterveiling tariffs form the EU. Let’s hope I’m wrong!

• Informative
Reactions: neroden