Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buffalo, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We went to Brennan's Bowery this evening. Good food, decent service. The drive from Macedonia to Buffalo was much easier than expected. Charged to 100%, and arrived with ~25 rated miles left. Started the drive at 65 and range mode on, but quickly realized I would be fine and cruised at 75-80 with range mode off. P85D with 19's and LRR tires.

047bf5fe6b94c5572d96dcc7ef83e125.jpg

The drive from Macedonia to Buffalo was much easier than expected. Charged to 100%, and arrived with ~25 rated miles left. Started the drive at 65 and range mode on, but quickly realized I would be fine and cruised at 75-80 with range mode off. P85D with 19's and LRR tires.

Was the car not cooling well enough with range mode on? I ask, because if you were cool enough with range mode on, I'm wondering why you would choose to turn it off.

Was the car not cooling well enough with range mode on? I ask, because if you were cool enough with range mode on, I'm wondering why you would choose to turn it off.

Because I'm convinced there is more going on than just HVAC Econ when range mode is on. I've discussed this before in other threads (sorry, don't have a link). My theory is that it also raises the temperature points for cooling the pack. You're trading long term longevity of the battery for short term range gain. If you absolutely need the additional range than it's probably a fair trade. But if you don't need it, my best guess is it's better to leave it off. This is all speculation, of course. If all range mode did was Econ HVAC, then why not just call it Econ HVAC? Tesla has stated it also changes torque sleep in some way, perhaps by using the front (more efficient) motor at higher rpms before shifting to the rear motor at the expense of drive train longevity and latency on acceleration? Who knows. I wish Tesla would tell us.

Because I'm convinced there is more going on than just HVAC Econ when range mode is on. I've discussed this before in other threads (sorry, don't have a link). My theory is that it also raises the temperature points for cooling the pack. You're trading long term longevity of the battery for short term range gain. If you absolutely need the additional range than it's probably a fair trade. But if you don't need it, my best guess is it's better to leave it off. This is all speculation, of course. If all range mode did was Econ HVAC, then why not just call it Econ HVAC? Tesla has stated it also changes torque sleep in some way, perhaps by using the front (more efficient) motor at higher rpms before shifting to the rear motor at the expense of drive train longevity and latency on acceleration? Who knows. I wish Tesla would tell us.

That's an interesting take on it, and one that I had not considered.

I've been using range mode almost exclusively since word came down from Jerome Guillen that torque sleep worked more effectively with range mode on. I would have thought that if there was any downside to using it, Tesla would not have tied most of the torque sleep benefit to range mode being on.

As for your point about why they wouldn't just call it Econ HVAC if that's all it was doing, we do know that in the winter with range mode on the car won't heat the battery pack, resulting in lower regenerative braking levels for longer. I guess it's possible that in the summer the car is also not cooling the pack as much. But I would have thought in both cases the car is heating and cooling the pack as much as is necessary to protect the pack. I could be wrong.

Another data point that could be relevant, or might not be, is how the roaster behaves in range mode. With it on, cooling of the pack is reduced, and you can see this much easier than on the S.

Turn range mode on, drive for awhile, and then stop and plug in to charge. Then after a few minutes turn range mode off. The cooling fans will kick in to high.

Who knows if the S does the same thing. It's far less obvious.

Regarding torque sleep being more effective in range mode- If there wasn't a trade off, why wouldn't Tesla leave that functionality on all the time?

Regarding torque sleep being more effective in range mode- If there wasn't a trade off, why wouldn't Tesla leave that functionality on all the time?

I really have no idea about this. I'd certainly hope if we were trading something for the improved range (other than less effective cabin cooling and heating, and less effective pack heating in the winter--the things we know about) that Tesla would have told us about it.

Perhaps one possibility is that the most effective torque sleep only works up to a power draw of a certain amount, and that with range mode off, the cabin cooling and heating will cause that power draw to be reached at lower speeds, rendering torque sleep less effective.

Resurrecting a dead thread here, but there will be a beautiful blue 90D at the Buffalo Supercharger tomorrow (Sat, 10/10) offering test drives between 2-5. This is part of Tesla's "Drive a Model S in Upstate NY" event that's no longer showing on their website. Originally it was by appointment only but the Tesla rep emailed me this afternoon about it being open for all during that time.

Resurrecting a dead thread here, but there will be a beautiful blue 90D at the Buffalo Supercharger tomorrow (Sat, 10/10) offering test drives between 2-5. This is part of Tesla's "Drive a Model S in Upstate NY" event that's no longer showing on their website. Originally it was by appointment only but the Tesla rep emailed me this afternoon about it being open for all during that time.

Thanks for the heads up! Yet another thing to do at the Supercharger!

I dropped by around 4PM and saw the 90D. Spoke with the nice young man and checked out his car. He mentioned that Tesla is working on a physical presence in the WNY area. I was wondering what the 90D indicates in range when fully charged. He told me 287 miles. Very nice.

I dropped by around 4PM and saw the 90D. Spoke with the nice young man and checked out his car. He mentioned that Tesla is working on a physical presence in the WNY area. I was wondering what the 90D indicates in range when fully charged. He told me 287 miles. Very nice.

That would be great news.. Although I thought Tesla is banned in these parts. Something changed in Albany?

That would be great news.. Although I thought Tesla is banned in these parts. Something changed in Albany?
I haven't heard about any law changes, though a different rep in Rochester back in August was also talking about Pittsford being looked at as a central location for Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse. If only I had tequila and lime to go with the giant grain of salt :)