Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buffett Comments Applied to TSLA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stand by that prediction more than ever given recent developments.

I would only add that LG Chem will likely get much of the advanced Li-Ion business with large car makers in 2017-2020 unless Samsung can quickly catch up and sign more big customers (in addition to BMW) or unless there is an unexpected battery break-through from a new entrant/supplier (unlikely until 2020 given the long battery testing and car development lead times).

Coming back to value style investing this could result in very unpredictable cash-flows, margins and market share (especially since batteries traditionally are a very low margin-business in EV/stationary use).

tftf, this discussion really belongs in the other thread. fwiw, if anyone wants to read where, in response to tftf's assertions, I walked through the size of the Samsung and LG Chem battery contracts with other automakers and demonstrated that they represent volumes of battery production not even remotely close to a scale that would impact Model 3 sales, have a look at posts number #183 and #189 in that thread. After my debunking of tftf's claims in #189 seven months ago, tftf never posted in that thread again.

No Model III until 2019? - Page 5

Buffett mentioned that you should invest in a business that even a fool can manage, because eventually one will.

No fool could manage tesla at this point.

However, According to most in SA, musk is a fool, so no problem there.

Buffett composed his set of rules, and what sets him apart is that he is good enough to know when to break his rules.