Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BUG - Rear View Camera issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you press the Media Player icon while the car is in Reverse the rear view camera display disappears. The view changes to the Navigation screen. All the other icons do not have this issue. You can press the rear view camera icon to get it back. I am on software 2018.28.2.

I notified Tesla via email. Anyone else notice this issue?

Yup. Been this way since day 1 of ownership for me. Started on 2018.18.3.
This is a software bug. The Media Player overrides the Rear View camera. It is does not happen when you touch the Climate Control icon. It does not happen when you touch the Control icon, Volume Control or any other icon.

This is a safety issue. All new cars sold in the USA must have a functional backup camera. Nothing should be able to obscure the Rear View camera. None of those icons should activate while the car is in reverse.

When I attach my rear bike rack to my 2018 Type 3, the rear camera shows this as a close in target & won't allow reverse to "engage". Has V.11 (or previous updates) provided a feature to "disable rear camera" when a rear bike rack is locked in place?