Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bug with new One-pedal driving mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This also happened to me on Sunday while backing out of my garage while my car was set with Stopping Mode - Hold. My driveway has a short but a fairly steep incline and while going down it, I let off the accelerator and I let the car break to check traffic. As the car was about to stop, it inched forward. I was like woah...so I hit the brakes. I tried to see if I could make it do it again so I lightly applied pressure to the accelerator to make it move and then let off it again. And just as it was about to stop, it went forward again. I hit the brakes again. Next thing I know, the car is throwing an alert that the car is shutting down and to find a safe place to park. I tried to get it out of my driveway but I couldn’t get into drive or reverse. I was able to get it into neutral but wasn’t able to get it to roll enough out. Did a hard reboot but when the car came back up it was still saying the car was shutting down. I messed around for another few minutes to no avail. So I got my wife to steer while in neutral so I could push the car out of the driveway. When she got in to steer, the car went back to normal. We drove it the rest of the day and it was fine.

I opened a ticket via the app later that night and scheduled a SC appointment for 11/26. I thought this was a bug too and that’s reason for the ticket. As all of us know, the app only lets so many characters. So I followed up by calling the service center (yes, they answered) yesterday (Monday). The tech said this has happened with all models...not just the model 3...and before the "stopping mode - hold" software release...but this is the first time he's come across this behavior on a car with the latest software update. I don't remember his exact words but he mentioned this happens when the car is on an incline and something gets tripped and the car thinks it’s rolling in the wrong direction so for safety it moves in the opposite direction. He said they would review the logs of the car especially bc the car shutdown and get back to me.

For those who have experienced this issue (I have not and I back down my sloped driveway daily, pausing partway to close the garage door) could you please clarify something for me; does the car go “forward” a distance of inches or feet before it stops on its own, or are you saying that the car continues to go forward until you press on the brake pedal to stop it? Thank you.
This morning with the front wheels at the curb it rolled forward across the footpath and stopped itself at the point where our steep driveway gets steep. So under a metre travel. I didn't need to touch the brake to stop it. Also the hold icon does show while it's doing this.

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
This still occurs on 2019.40.2.1.

I was exiting a parking lot which has very gentle slope down to the road, then a steep one that joins to the road. I crept forward but saw another car so aggressively engaged the brakes to stop then let off the brake. Then my Model 3 rolled backwards uphill briefly, which was confusing.

Then I tried to apply throttle to exit the lot again, but it reversed uphill again. All while in drive. I stopped it, tried applying throttle again, and this time it decided to go forward.

It was in Drive the whole time. There wasn't a captive hole or something rolling me backward. The car actually reversed uphill a bit by itself (probably "thinking" it was still slowing down after my sudden stop on a downhill) and did so again after applying light accelerator input.

Along with its bad behaviour in low traction environments (just locks up the rear tires), this feature seems of low quality and dangerous. I'm shocked there hasn't been an accident reported yet.