Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bugs and wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couple of complaints that maybe some of you have figured out a work around on:

1). Whtie model Y. I spend a lot of time on the roads and the bugs are just ridiculous. The front end of my car looks like a museum of natural science exhibit. I thought about the film they put on cars, but the only place around me that does it charges 1800 dollars and does the hood along with the bumper. Any other options out there?

2). The freaking wheels. I'm scarring my wheels up what seems like all the time. I have had to pay to have them fixed three times. Other than me being less stupid, which if that could be changed it would be, is there any type of protectant you can put on rims edge to help eliminate that from happening?

1). Whtie model Y. I spend a lot of time on the roads and the bugs are just ridiculous. The front end of my car looks like a museum of natural science exhibit. I thought about the film they put on cars, but the only place around me that does it charges 1800 dollars and does the hood along with the bumper. Any other options out there?
I'm going to be trying out Bug Off after watching the video below. It hasn't been warm enough for bugs yet, but I trust that the stuff will work well since I've tried a couple of other products they've suggested with good results.

2). The freaking wheels. I'm scarring my wheels up what seems like all the time. I have had to pay to have them fixed three times. Other than me being less stupid, which if that could be changed it would be, is there any type of protectant you can put on rims edge to help eliminate that from happening?
Do you have Uberturbines? I guess the only way to prevent curbing is to be really careful around curbs. Easier said than done as I've curbed 3 of my Uberturbines. Since I'm not that OCD, I just used some off the shelf spray paint and did some sanding and painting over the scuffed up sections. Other than being more careful to prevent damage, I think some people have mounted wider tires with more sidewall so they are protected a little bit better.

Try a good synthetic sealant after washing. There are plenty of good options, but I like Turtle Wax Seal 'n' Shine, DIY Detail Ceramic Gloss, and DIY Detail Quick Beads.

Seal'n'Shine applies best after the car is fully dried. Ceramic Gloss is applied by spraying onto a wet car then drying with towels. Quick Beads you apply it while the car is wet, then rinse it.

All of them will reduce the effort to clean off bugs in the future.

Reactions: Wordslayer
Couple of complaints that maybe some of you have figured out a work around on:

You can put model three performance wheels on your model Y. You might even be able to put any of the model three wheels on your model Y..

In my specific case, I put the model three performance Uberturbine wheels on my model Y performance, and then I installed the Goodyear OEM F1 tires.

The wheels are slightly narrower by a half an inch, than the wheels that come with the model Y. This results in the model Y tires sitting very slightly proud, and that causes them to not let the wheels rub against curbs and things like that.

So far, that’s the best solution that you get if you don’t want to deal with destroying your wheels all the time.

Reactions: Wordslayer