Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Build Back Better EV Tax Credits = massive discrimination against foreign manufacturers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not being really familiar with the US tax system I might get this completely wrong, but don't Biden's plans with regard to tax credits for EVs effectively discriminate against non-US manufacturers massively?
This doesn't just apply to those manufacturers that import EVs that were not assembled in the US, but also to manufacturers like Volkswagen that assemble in the US and that are pro-union, yet whose workforce has decided against unionisation?

Is there any good reason why the EU shouldn't retaliate against US manufacturers or even against Teslas made in its Gigafactory in Berlin, unless it unionises (which is most likely to happen anyway, though)?

(Sorry if this should be the wrong subforum. Please move this thread somewhere else if appropriate.)

Not being really familiar with the US tax system I might get this completely wrong, but don't Biden's plans with regard to tax credits for EVs effectively discriminate against non-US manufacturers massively?
This doesn't just apply to those manufacturers that import EVs that were not assembled in the US, but also to manufacturers like Volkswagen that assemble in the US and that are pro-union, yet whose workforce has decided against unionisation?

Is there any good reason why the EU shouldn't retaliate against US manufacturers or even against Teslas made in its Gigafactory in Berlin, unless it unionises (which is most likely to happen anyway, though)?

(Sorry if this should be the wrong subforum. Please move this thread somewhere else if appropriate.)
I'm not a big Biden fan myself but who gives a flying **** if EU gets upset. They'll get over it.

Stellantis is a non American company. Dutch-British-Italian-French? But effectively French with the French government having a veto over company policy. And is favored under the Biden plan.

Tesla is an American company. And is not favored under the Biden plan.

The Biden plans favors the UAW affiliated companies against everyone else.

Isn't it German law that requires a workers council/union at auto factories?

Yes, it is likely the EU retaliates.

If Americans are paying for the tax credit through their tax dollars, and Americans are the ones running America and our government, why should Americans care about what it does across the globe?

Because what happens across the globe will have repercussions on American companies and on Americans as both employees and consumers.

I think the EU should not give tax credits for cars not produced in the EU since this does not help EU manufacturers and EU taxpayers that pay for the credits in one way or another. That would include giving tax credits for only Teslas made in the EU.

The US has done various incentive programs promoting US made content and has resulted in the large growth of foreign car manufacturers (Honda, BMW, Hyundai, Toyota, etc.) building plants in the US and employing US citizens. See, List of automotive assembly plants in the United States - Wikipedia