Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bulb Electricity Goes Under

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Further to my earlier post, they are still at it: Someone posted yesterday on the Bulb community that he's paying £600/month and they've told him he needs to increase his payment to over £900 month despite being £3,300 in credit - for a 4-bed house with two occupants.

Right now they're telling me I should pay them an additional £40/month "Otherwise you're likely to use up your credit over time and go into debit.", if I follow their advice then I'll overpay them by about £900 over the course of the year.

If this isn't deliberate then they have a significant problem somewhere in their billing and prediction system.
Geez £600 a month! In the days before Powerwall and solar panels, my 3 bed bungalow and 1 bed granny annex didn’t cost more than £2K a year for electric and oil for the the three of us. Now it’s just the wife & I, oil is is about £1K and electric less than £300 a year.
i’d be worried the neighbours were tapped into my supply at that rate!

No, when you set up a cannabis farm, you hot-tap into the 3-phase supply in the main road and receive a free 300A supply; the last thing you do is pay for it. This happened to a place near me and the Police raised them.
Yep. They either get you from your electricity usage or helicopter looking for heat signatures but the later might well be where "Insulate Britain" get their agenda from.

I don’t understand. You can set your monthly payment to a minimum monthly payment in the app. They can’t force you to go into credit? Why would someone be knowingly paying that? Or are you saying they made that his minimum? Crazy either way 🤯
I can't speak for anyone else, but they told me they were increasing my payment to a particular amount (can't remember what it was), but that I could go into my account to change it - when I did it would only let me set it to about £30 less than they had picked, which was still around £50 more than I was paying.

They've "recommended" increased payments before (also badly calculated and ultimately wrong, but not imposed) that just ended up with me paying significantly less due to a massive credit balance, so as a result I decided to let it ride, but when I spoke to them I said that if I found myself in as much credit as I expect to be then I would be changing suppliers because I have no intention of going through this every bloody year.

Right now I think I'll wait for things to shake out, it's not worth switching supplier and finding myself at another one that goes bust.

I can't speak for anyone else, but they told me they were increasing my payment to a particular amount (can't remember what it was), but that I could go into my account to change it - when I did it would only let me set it to about £30 less than they had picked, which was still around £50 more than I was paying.

They've "recommended" increased payments before (also badly calculated and ultimately wrong, but not imposed) that just ended up with me paying significantly less due to a massive credit balance, so as a result I decided to let it ride, but when I spoke to them I said that if I found myself in as much credit as I expect to be then I would be changing suppliers because I have no intention of going through this every bloody year.

Right now I think I'll wait for things to shake out, it's not worth switching supplier and finding myself at another one that goes bust.
Yep best to let it ride and hope they survive. No chance in hell we could jump now and not end up spending more. 👍