Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bummer for those who paid for self drive.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think majority of customers who ordered this feature understands that the feature maybe a few years out or at least understands the stipulation.

Funny I was debating this feature when I ordered my car and the sale guy who came to my house with the car for a test drive told me to hold off. He said don’t spend the money until it’s actually release and the government approves it. So I decided to not pay upfront and not pay the taxes for it.

I’d definitely will get it once it is released out of beta etc but by then I may have another Tesla model y. Lol.

I bet a lot of customers are upset they spent $3k on something that has been pushed back several more years.

Where did you see it got pushed back "several more years"?

When I bought FSD, I expected it to not be ready for a long time, however, I also believed that Tesla would need to upgrade the cars to get to FSD.

I bought FSD to lock in the price and get "free" upgrades for FSD. Once FSD gets closer, the price will increase.

Tesla pulling FSD has more to do with their expected hardware costs than implementation timing.

The problem isn’t just Tesla. It is also an issue or regulations allowing a FSD car on the road.

I think they’re pulling sales of the feature for both of those reasons (future tech and regulatory battles)... even once the tech is ready, they will have to square off against legislators or regulators in 51 different court systems... and that is just for the US. 54 if we include major colonies of the US as well...

I see this the opposite way. Bummer that people didn't order FSD for $3K when they had the chance. I ordered it and I'm still confident that I will receive the computer and chip upgrade free with 5x processing power within a year. Cool FSD features (but not actual self driving) like maybe acting on stop signs and red lights will trickle out. Worth $3K to me? Definitely. I had my last car for 11 years, I'll have this car for at least 8 years.

The problem isn’t just Tesla. It is also an issue or regulations allowing a FSD car on the road.

I think they’re pulling sales of the feature for both of those reasons (future tech and regulatory battles)... even once the tech is ready, they will have to square off against legislators or regulators in 51 different court systems... and that is just for the US. 54 if we include major colonies of the US as well...
This is ridiculous. Full self driving cars are legal in CA, Tesla's biggest market. Let's wait until Tesla actually applies to release their FSD software to the public before we say that regulation is the problem.
Deployment of Autonomous Vehicles for Public Operation

im sure they will cover this on the earnings call.

Yes, with a question from a carefully chosen sycophant.

But I am confident that people who have paid for FSD won't get screwed, and that the option will eventually return. I would even like to think that the choice to stop selling FSD now is an indictor of a more adult Tesla. But I've thought that too many times in the past to be optimistic now.

ALSO...
Tesla CEO Elon Musk touts new Model 3, but it's a bit pricier than the one many expected

NOTE: You can purchase a $35K midrange in California. But, the vast majority of states do not have the level of incentives California has. Meaning that you can currently save about $8-10K over the Long Range base Model 3. It's only worth it is you have a tight budget... or giving your child his/her first car. I don't see it outselling the Long Range RWD Model 3. --SEA

USA Today Network Mike Snider
19 October, 2018

Tesla CEO Elon Musk revealed a new lower-priced Model 3 vehicle going on sale, but it's pricier than the much-anticipated model expected to run $35,000 before a tax break.

In the past, Musk had said the base price for a lower-cost Model 3 would be $35,000 before the federal $7,500 tax credit. That electric vehicle's battery would deliver an expected 220-mile range.

But this new model has a mid-range battery that allows the car to travel an estimated 260 miles on a battery charge, according to the Tesla web site. There it shows the base price of the Model 3 as $45,000. With the tax break and $4,300 in gasoline savings taken into account, the car's price drops to $34,400 with the destination and doc fee.

The new "lower cost, mid-range" Model 3, Musk said on Twitter, "costs $35k after federal & state tax rebates in California, but true cost of ownership is closer to $31k after gas savings."

The new vehicles with the mid-range battery are expected to be delivered in six to 10 weeks, according to the Tesla site.

Tesla's Model S and X vehicles, which can cost more than $100,000, have become status symbols. But the current Model 3, which typically runs about $55,000 out the door, has put the Palo Alto, California car maker on the radar of average car buyers.

Its move to make the lower-priced Model 3 available comes as Tesla has smoothed out its production line. During the third quarter, Tesla says it delivered 83,500 vehicles – more than 80 percent of the vehicles that the company delivered in all of 2017.

Its quarterly production of 80,142 vehicles during the three-month period was twice that of its previous high in the April-June quarter.

“As Model 3 production and sales continue to grow rapidly, we’ve achieved a steady volume in manufacturing capacity, allowing us to diversify our product offering to even more customers," Tesla said in a statement to USA TODAY. "Our new Mid-Range Battery is being introduced this week in the U.S. and Canada to better meet the varying range needs of the many customers eager to own Model 3, and our delivery estimate for customers who have ordered the Standard Battery is 4-6 months.”

Tesla's ability to release more economically-priced vehicles will likely increase its competitive stance among makers of other mid-sized premium sedans. Tesla has said its Model 3 in July outsold all other rivals combined (Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, Jaguar and Lexus) in the U.S., capturing 52 percent of the mid-sized premium sedan segment overall.

During the July-September period in the U.S., the Silicon Valley upstart outsold Mercedes-Benz and could outsell BMW in the current quarter, according to an Atherton Research report in Forbes.

Tesla and Musk would like to focus on the business after a tumultuous few weeks. Musk recently agreed in a settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission to leave his position as the company's chairman for three years and pay $20 million for making a "false and misleading'' statement when he tweeted Tesla had enough financing to go private.

Musk, who remains CEO, also caused a stir when he smoked what host Joe Rogan described as marijuana inside of tobacco a live video podcast interview.

• Disagree
Reactions: dbldwn02
ALSO...
Tesla CEO Elon Musk touts new Model 3, but it's a bit pricier than the one many expected

NOTE: You can purchase a $35K midrange in California. But, the vast majority of states do not have the level of incentives California has. Meaning that you can currently save about $8-10K over the Long Range base Model 3. It's only worth it is you have a tight budget... or giving your child his/her first car. I don't see it outselling the Long Range RWD Model 3. --SEA

USA Today Network Mike Snider
19 October, 2018

Tesla CEO Elon Musk revealed a new lower-priced Model 3 vehicle going on sale, but it's pricier than the much-anticipated model expected to run $35,000 before a tax break.

In the past, Musk had said the base price for a lower-cost Model 3 would be $35,000 before the federal $7,500 tax credit. That electric vehicle's battery would deliver an expected 220-mile range.

But this new model has a mid-range battery that allows the car to travel an estimated 260 miles on a battery charge, according to the Tesla web site. There it shows the base price of the Model 3 as $45,000. With the tax break and $4,300 in gasoline savings taken into account, the car's price drops to $34,400 with the destination and doc fee.

The new "lower cost, mid-range" Model 3, Musk said on Twitter, "costs $35k after federal & state tax rebates in California, but true cost of ownership is closer to $31k after gas savings."

The new vehicles with the mid-range battery are expected to be delivered in six to 10 weeks, according to the Tesla site.

Tesla's Model S and X vehicles, which can cost more than $100,000, have become status symbols. But the current Model 3, which typically runs about $55,000 out the door, has put the Palo Alto, California car maker on the radar of average car buyers.

Its move to make the lower-priced Model 3 available comes as Tesla has smoothed out its production line. During the third quarter, Tesla says it delivered 83,500 vehicles – more than 80 percent of the vehicles that the company delivered in all of 2017.

Its quarterly production of 80,142 vehicles during the three-month period was twice that of its previous high in the April-June quarter.

“As Model 3 production and sales continue to grow rapidly, we’ve achieved a steady volume in manufacturing capacity, allowing us to diversify our product offering to even more customers," Tesla said in a statement to USA TODAY. "Our new Mid-Range Battery is being introduced this week in the U.S. and Canada to better meet the varying range needs of the many customers eager to own Model 3, and our delivery estimate for customers who have ordered the Standard Battery is 4-6 months.”

Tesla's ability to release more economically-priced vehicles will likely increase its competitive stance among makers of other mid-sized premium sedans. Tesla has said its Model 3 in July outsold all other rivals combined (Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, Jaguar and Lexus) in the U.S., capturing 52 percent of the mid-sized premium sedan segment overall.

During the July-September period in the U.S., the Silicon Valley upstart outsold Mercedes-Benz and could outsell BMW in the current quarter, according to an Atherton Research report in Forbes.

Tesla and Musk would like to focus on the business after a tumultuous few weeks. Musk recently agreed in a settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission to leave his position as the company's chairman for three years and pay $20 million for making a "false and misleading'' statement when he tweeted Tesla had enough financing to go private.

Musk, who remains CEO, also caused a stir when he smoked what host Joe Rogan described as marijuana inside of tobacco a live video podcast interview.

What does any of that have to do with FSD? Feel free to just posting the link instead of the copying and pasting the full article in the future.