Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bump to 325 mi range and 5% power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be upset if Tesla sends me a firmware update that just changes the car's (Wh/mi) constant! I am personally showing a lifetime (over 20K miles!) rate of 227 Wh/mi in the car (well below "predicted") and 310 miles is already unreasonable in most real world conditions.

Curious what max range you're seeing? I'm getting lifetime 250 Wh/mi on 19" wheels RWD LR. I know the usable kWh in the 3 battery is up for debate but using 75,000 Wh / 250 supposedly gets 300. Yours would be 330? I haven't had taken a long road trip in the 3 yet so never had to run it down to near empty yet.

Can folks actually feel a .4 difference?

Absolutely. A 5.6 second 0 to 60 time is around an average acceleration of 0.49g. A 5.2 second 0 to 60 is around an average acceleration of 0.53g. For let's say a 180 pound (around 81.6kg) person that's a difference between feeling 391.68 Newtons and 423.83 Newtons. That'd would feel like an extra 7 pounds pushing you against your seat.

I will be upset if Tesla sends me a firmware update that just changes the car's (Wh/mi) constant! I am personally showing a lifetime (over 20K miles!) rate of 227 Wh/mi in the car (well below "predicted") and 310 miles is already unreasonable in most real world conditions. With vampire losses and other real life stuff, I'm OK with the optimistic 310 rating, but it's not very applicable.... Move it to 325 and the problem is worse. My battery gauge is even more off than before. And I am in Southern California!

By the way I would rather Tesla give me an update that actually is more efficient where the mileage change is real. I'd settle for access to more of the pack (allow deeper discharge) , which would only matter if I was driving far (road trip) and was willing to exhaust the pack. But don't just change my gauge without any additional capability!
Well, I got 2019.5.15 today and can confirm that it's NOT just a new "rated" constant. The rated constant appears to be the same. I'm guessing that it must be access to additional battery discharge that was not available before. Here's my images showing my pixel peeking
Tesla 325mi upgrade.png

My car was at 90% when I took the update. The range went from 277 mi to 290 mi

MR: 5.6 --> 5.2
LR RWD: 5.1 --> 5.0
LR AWD: 4.5 --> 4.5 (unchanged)
Performance: 3.3 --> 3.2

Probably only MR will feel the difference and contribute the most to AVERAGE 5% increase across all Model 3.

Should make the AWD 4.0 seconds flat. That would make everyone happy, and feel they are getting a good deal. Only performance gets higher top speed .

Well, I got 2019.5.15 today and can confirm that it's NOT just a new "rated" constant. The rated constant appears to be the same. I'm guessing that it must be access to additional battery discharge that was not available before. Here's my images showing my pixel peeking
View attachment 385464

My car was at 90% when I took the update. The range went from 277 mi to 290 mi

If that is the case wouldn't the constant have to change on the AWD models as they will still show 310? Or did they not unlock this additional discharge on those models? Too many questions not enough official description from Tesla lol

If that is the case wouldn't the constant have to change on the AWD models as they will still show 310? Or did they not unlock this additional discharge on those models? Too many questions not enough official description from Tesla lol

The increase in range was reported by Tesla for the RWD LR. No change for AWD range.

• Love
Reactions: McFlurri
The increase in range was reported by Tesla for the RWD LR. No change for AWD range.
I understand that. But if the assertion is that some extra battery capacity is being accessed because the rated constant is the same, it stands to reason that either the awd is not getting access to the extra capacity or that they are changing the rated constant in the awd to make the new capacity be 310 still. So which is it?

I understand that. But if the assertion is that some extra battery capacity is being accessed because the rated constant is the same, it stands to reason that either the awd is not getting access to the extra capacity or that they are changing the rated constant in the awd to make the new capacity be 310 still. So which is it?
Door #3-- where the AWD cars already got the increased battery capacity (75kWh?) when initially released but the RWD cars had less (72kWh?) until this software update made them all equal.

EE6C423D-B81C-4630-BE7E-E5B39FDA5B30.jpeg D17F399A-1D66-4DF8-AAE9-4F32E0B641AF.jpeg Regarding the 325 mile range figure, on the Model 3 order page, the standard range and long range RWD both say “EPA est” under the range number. The other configurations do not include that phrase.

Maybe this is evidence of no actual new range being unlocked on the LR RWD. That would also indicate the real world range gap between SR and SR+ is larger than the 20 mile difference the posted numbers imply.

Alternatively, maybe those are the only two configurations that the epa has officially tested.

Alternatively, maybe those are the only two configurations that the epa has officially tested.
The EPA doesn’t test anything; they just recieve and sign-off OEM test reports. The 2019 LR RWD is not shown in the EPA database so it’s not likely signed off yet. Telsa can’t (shouldn’t?) advertise the EPA number until it is finalized, so it’s “estimated” until then.

Reactions: jasonh4451
Strange... Upgraded to 2019.8.4 on my LR RWD Model 3 last night (from 2019.5'ish. Felt peppier, but no change in range.
Woke up this AM and it's 277 mi on 90% charge, exactly the same range as before. Detected 2/2 red lights correctly, flashing red steering wheel and alert.

Did they roll back mileage to what it was originally?

Strange... Upgraded to 2019.8.4 on my LR RWD Model 3 last night (from 2019.5'ish. Felt peppier, but no change in range.
Woke up this AM and it's 277 mi on 90% charge, exactly the same range as before. Detected 2/2 red lights correctly, flashing red steering wheel and alert.

Did they roll back mileage to what it was originally?

FYI, seems it added 3 mi to range on 2019.5 a few weeks back. Not much there there...

Updated to 2019.8.4 this morning. My somehow-scientific measurements on 0 to 60 times:
0-60 mph Before Update: 5.3s (data points: 5.3, 5.3, 5.2, 5.3, 5.3)
0-60 mph after Update: 5.0s (data points: 5.0, 5.1, 5.0, 5.0, 5.0)
Effectively a ~5% decrease in 0 to 60 times.

Methodology: 5 videos of screen while flooring it, then editing videos from frame where power bar starts to turn black until speed turns from 59 to 60, then measuring length of each video.

Last edited: