Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumper Panel Gap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This picture is right below the charge port door so I see it everyday. It always catches my eye - the bumper piece sticking away from the panel above. In the middle of the panel line, you can see behind the bumper (where the plastic ridges are). Is this something that can be fixed by a service center? I compared it to the same color M3 at the delivery center - mine was definitely worse but their wasn't perfect either. The 2d picture doesn't really do it justice...
IMG_2227.jpg

This picture is right below the charge port door so I see it everyday. It always catches my eye - the bumper piece sticking away from the panel above. In the middle of the panel line, you can see behind the bumper (where the plastic ridges are). Is this something that can be fixed by a service center? I compared it to the same color M3 at the delivery center - mine was definitely worse but their wasn't perfect either. The 2d picture doesn't really do it justice...View attachment 322934

Probably just the clips ...easily fixed

My August 2018 built white model 3 has the same issue and it’s really bothering me. You can see the plastic ridges inside the gap.

Was the SC able to do anything to help resolve the gap?

I have the same issue. I have to get paint issues fixed on my back bumper (pre delivery). Body shop will have to remove and reinstall. I pointed out the problem to them. Hopefully will he fixed once they’re done.

I think this area is similar to the front near the headlights and the upper ridge where the trunk closes. They have gaps significant enough to see the hardware inside if you look close enough. I thinks it’s just how the specs are set in the factory. Check the back of your car near the tail light where the bumper meets it. It seems a little “gappy” there too.

I agree. I was initially more concerned from the few instances online where people had their bumper detach, but I’m now pretty certain all cars have the gap, but it may be more visible in certain colors than others. I still think it’s ugly, but something an owner will notice more than a passerby.

I am now also noticing the black plastic panel above the side mirrors. It seems to be somewhat detached at the top/tip. Not sure if it’s a cosmetic panel or if actually supports the side mirrors. It kept catching the microfiber cloth I was using to wash my car last week.

I have the same issue. I have to get paint issues fixed on my back bumper (pre delivery). Body shop will have to remove and reinstall. I pointed out the problem to them. Hopefully will he fixed once they’re done.

So I just got the car back. They tried to address the gap - it's better but not perfect. They say all Model 3's have the gap. They chalked it up to variances in the bracket underneath that holds the bumper in place. My bracket was fine (i.e., not broken or defective). They could order me a new bracket but the new one could be better or worse. Plus, closing one gap could introduce bigger gaps elsewhere. I decided to just leave it. It's noticeable to me but only at certain angles.

I agree. I was initially more concerned from the few instances online where people had their bumper detach, but I’m now pretty certain all cars have the gap, but it may be more visible in certain colors than others. I still think it’s ugly, but something an owner will notice more than a passerby.

I am now also noticing the black plastic panel above the side mirrors. It seems to be somewhat detached at the top/tip. Not sure if it’s a cosmetic panel or if actually supports the side mirrors. It kept catching the microfiber cloth I was using to wash my car last week.

Almost all model 3s have the black mirror trim issue. I am hoping it is just for cosmetic purposes.

Bumping this. Anyone else get their bumper gap addressed?

I also noticed a pretty big gap between where the tail light meets the bumper. It’s a a hole. I assume all cars have this hole, but just noticed it today. View attachment 381682

That’s a bit bigger of a gap than mine. I noticed some separation but not that much. I do worry that over time more bumper covers will fall off.

Hey guys just wanted to rebump this post if the original poster or anyone else with the side bumper gap and gap under the head lights got this resolved with the service center or mobile service?

Please let us know because it really doesn’t look good seeing that gap.

Thanks