Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumpy ride from headrest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I’ve had my model 3 for a couple of days now. It was bought used, 2019 standard Range Plus in the UK.

Has anyone else noticed how bouncy the ride is on the headrest, when I go at highway speeds with my head against the headrest it’s constantly bounced and jolted forwards.

I didn’t get this in my old car (Ford fiesta)

Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: Skavatar and KenC
I have noticed it. I purposefully do not lean my head against the head rest as it is so bouncy. Not sure if it is always so, but I've noticed it several times. I'll try to pay more attention if it's all the time or just on certain roads or certain speeds. Also will have to try it in our Kia to see the difference.

Yes, the headrest is too far forward, and too firm. You can take it out and bend the posts for a more conventional fit or turn it around backwards for a very relaxed fit. I'm sure others will warn you of the certain death that awaits you if you pursue this path toward darkness.

1675409349033.png

I also found the headrest to be way too forward and hard for my liking. My solution is a little memory foam neck pillow, trimmed the foam down so my head rests on it, ending up only a few mm from the headrest. This way my head touches something softer on bumpy roads, but my head doesn't end up even more leaned forwards.

Reactions: Skavatar
I can't speak for your personal back issues or what is comfortable for you, but the headrest is really there to keep from snapping your neck in a rear end collision. Not really for riding your head against the entire time your driving.

Correct I recline the seat just enough so that my head is (barely) not touching the headrest. More comfortable for my head and back.

I don't think I've ever rested my head against the headrest in any car I've owned. In fact that's not their purpose. They are there to prevent your head from snapping back to far in an accident, causing whiplash. It says that specifically in the manual of a Volvo I owned prior to my M3.
That's the complaint; a limited number of us M3 owners have the height and posture for the headrest to interfere we naturally want to keep our heads. I'm not pushing my head against it; it's in the way my head. If I bend it back half an inch I'll be able to drive comfortably and it will still be close to my head for preventing whiplash.

Your point is valid, there are just a few of us outliers as is the case with any ergonomic design. The safety benefit of the headrest is very important, and If I ever sell the car I will point this out to the new owner and offer to replace the headrest.

Yeah, that's what it was pointed out in the reddit thread discussing that funny picture. Just basically have seat reclined back slightly such that headrest is not poking into your neck.
I don’t get why everyone is focusing on the wrong part of the issue here. I have been driving a rental Mazda 3. I can rest my head against the headrest without it bouncing around. I used to drive a Ford fiesta. I could rest my head against the headrest without it bouncing around. My wife had a seat Ibiza. I could rest my head against the headrest without it bouncing around. My friend has a Volvo S40. I can rest my head against the headrest without it bouncing around. The Tesla is £20-£25,000 more expensive than any of these cars and yet I cannot rest my head against the headrest. And on this forum people are earnestly trying to argue that headrests aren’t there to rest your head against, and are instead that I am sitting all wrong…

Funny enough I remember Lexus advertising their pillow top headrests. It still provided crash protection but without feeling like you were resting you head on a rock; especially when when reclined. When reclined it was like resting your head on a light fluffy cloud. Needless to say they didn’t age well after so many years.

My Audi A7 headrest independent of the seat could tilt up / down, move up / down, and move forward or back. But it was so uncomfortable; like concrete. I actually kept a neck pillow in the car just for the odd times I wanted to recline in the seat when not driving.

Reactions: XPsionic