Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Button on wall charger not opening Charge Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my wall charger for a few months and it’s worked flawlessly. However, yesterday evening my button on my charge receptacle stopped opening my charging port door. I know the button is working because the car will allow me to hit the button to release the cable. Any ideas why this might be happening. If the problem persists, I’ll reboot both the wall charger and car, but was just checking to see if this has been a problem for anyone else.

Sometimes I need to 'wake up' the car (e.g. by opening a door, or unlocking) before that works.

Yep, I get that too on the model 3 and it is annoying. The car can be asleep and still detect your key and unlock the car door if you grab the handle, too bad they can't loop in the charge port on that as well. Lately I have started opening the app on my phone to wake it up a minute or so before I head to the garage.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I have noticed this do better or worse based on the firmware update... its so odd, you would think this would be pretty static but i'd say when I first got the car I had to wake the car about 50% of the time... then I'd say about a month or so ago it worked really well, only had to wake the car maybe 5-10% of the time. Then within the last week with the last update it went back to about 50% of the time I have to wake it :(

We had a M3 using our HPWC for 7 months. Chargeport usually required me to open the rear passenger door first bc the car is asleep, but would open right away after parking.

Our MY is different. Sometimes it works perfectly. A lot of the time I have to press the lid to open. Opening the door or having just parked does not always work. Very strange.

I've been experiencing EXACTLY what you said from Saturday on! oO Car didn't update before that. It does now and by that also reboot, I assume...
Let's see if that fixes it.
Worked flawlessly for exactly one year and I can confirm that the button on the charge handle still works as (as Raiders also stated) the button still lets me unlock the port while it's plugged in.
Also (as Raider also stated) it can't be a sleep issue since this also happens when I literally just parked and have the drivers door still open.
@Raiders How's the state on your car by now? Working again?

I've been experiencing EXACTLY what you said from Saturday on! oO Car didn't update before that. It does now and by that also reboot, I assume...
Let's see if that fixes it.
Worked flawlessly for exactly one year and I can confirm that the button on the charge handle still works as (as Raiders also stated) the button still lets me unlock the port while it's plugged in.
Also (as Raider also stated) it can't be a sleep issue since this also happens when I literally just parked and have the drivers door still open.
@Raiders How's the state on your car by now? Working again?
Yeah it's been working pretty consistently for me the last few years. Every once in awhile it is stubborn, but 99% of the time it works.

It's been happening quite a lot to me lately.

Even when the car is fully awake, IE pulling the car in the garage after driving, and immediately going to click the charger button to open the flap. I actually haven't recalled a time when this has worked in the past week or so, I've had to press the flap every time.

Update: The brick for the normal outlet that still came with my car opens the port remotely so it must be the charging handle.
I found out that it contains a battery.
Probably uses the battery to send the "open" signal wirelessly and sends the "stop charging" signal while plugged in through the two data connectors in the port.
Will replace battery and report back!

Update: The brick for the normal outlet that still came with my car opens the port remotely so it must be the charging handle.
Probably uses the battery to send the "open" signal wirelessly and sends the "stop charging" signal while plugged in through the two data connectors in the port.
I'm confused on this. You said this was the charging cable that came with your car, but you think it has a battery in it. The Tesla charging cables don't have batteries in them. They can only do that wireless transmission when they are plugged into an outlet so they have external energy to run the circuitry in them.

Reactions: davewill
Yeah, no battery. Your wall connector is broken, pure and simple. You are correct that disconnecting the plug does not need the wireless signal and is done through the plug connection itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H